Coil repair ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Coil repair ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

As stated before, this is my first Model T and have jumped in with both feet, making repairs. I ran across a coil for sale on E-Bay, what appears to be a capacitor wired to the outside.? Is this a common type repair or do I need to open the box and replace the capacitor.Coil Photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

George, One of the most important parts of making your T run properly is the coils! There are a few people here on the forum that will rebuild them like new and save you lots of headaches in the process. You really do get what you pay for, and that coil you pictured is probably the reason why they are so successful. Good luck and keep us updated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

George-

It is a common temporary fix.
Open it up and do it right.

You will find some information if you search old forums. There are some DVDs available showing how to do it. Or would can send them off to Ron Paterson, Brent Mize, or a number of other people.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

George: When I was ready to get my first rial run on y '19 , the coils would buzz but it would run about 10 sec's and stop, no matter what I did.
Finally I was in contact with "The Coil Man" and he gave me a few hint. Well I sent my coils to him and he re-built them and when I installed them, then installed them in the coil box it scared me how well the car started and ran. This was my first time to ever drive a "T". It would start on a 1/4 turn on the hand crank. If it sets for a few days or weeks it is a bit hard to start, that is because of just setting around. After it has run for a few minutes it might on a few time do a surprise start. That is running and shut it off and a moment later turn the key to battery it will burp and start. I have seen guys turn the switch to battery and bump the front wheels and it would start.
Do the coils and and IHO opinion you will be happier than a bucket of clams, but be sure to have at least on spare and a back up.
welcome to the addiction and Happy "T'ing\

bill d MTFCA14079
California

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:13 am:

This repair works to a degree if the internal capacitor is open circuit.
Problem is if/when the internal connections come good in the original capacitor. Then the capacitance is too much, to say nothing of the leakage present in the original.
Also, distributor capacitors aren't the right type in terms of capacitance and dv/dt rating to use for a lasting repair anyway.
Use the Fun Projects capacitors to replace the internal ones and you'll never have troubles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:48 am:

I choose my battles. There's more than enough for me to do, and I chose to send this battle to Ron Patterson. By now he's restored hundreds, maybe thousands, of coils. I've seen comments by some people that Patterson coils were the best money they ever spent on a Model T, and I can't disagree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:34 am:

Steve, Have you been hiding the super rare 5 cylinder T ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

To quote Ron, "I have rebuilt over 5,000 coils and less than 100 had good capacitors."

Unfortunately the Hand Crank Coil Tester does not test the capacitor, but it does display the random misfires and double sparks that cause a rough running Model T engine with a related power loss.

The StroboSpark does test the capacitor and identifies random misfires and double sparks, but the best part is it is 120 pounds lighter than a HCCT and much easier to carry around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:38 am:

One of our club members car has been running for years with a condenser mounted like that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:48 am:

HA HA! Necessity is the mother of invention I guess. Never saw that one before. Their not hard to do George. Just a bit fiddely the first time. Your biggest problem is getting them HCCT'd or Strobo Sparked. Roughly $50 worth of parts (point sets & condensers). If you want a more detailed "at home" fix PM me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

I seriously doubt many who would just add a condenser to the top of a coil would bother with such formalities as setting them up on a HCCT. Probably a "Set by ear" adjustment.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Man Steve those are so purty. I'm tellin' ya'll with the job that the coil gurus do we need some kind of skeleton lid that holds the coils in place but lets you see them. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Just for clarification, my comments were meant to be about whoever in the past rigged that coil, not the OP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 08:55 am:

I've had many coils rebuilt by Brent Mize and they have all been great. Plus, Brent is great to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Here's another trick:

Potato for a condensor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

By all accounts you can't go wrong using Ron Patterson "the Coil Man". But if you live in New Hampshire like I do I would recommend using Dick Welch of Bow. He has done all my coils and they work GREAT!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Some people who only drive around the block may not appreciate the importance of the coil box lid fit. The lid on all T coil boxes plays an important role in holding the T coils down into place so that all 3 contacts are mated up with the coil box contacts. The 26/27 lid is the most finicky of them all but I would think even the earlier coil box lid is not going to do its function if there is a capacitor up on top which interferes with the lid. It may be made to fit some way but it sure is going to be tight if it fits at all.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration