Looking for sentimental 1924 license plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Looking for sentimental 1924 license plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael sharkey on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:34 am:

Hi all. I'm attaching a picture below of my great grandfather and his depot hack. I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping to find the plates. The plates are from 1924 and the number is 782-250. I'm not sure if it was only one plate or two. I really hope to find it. If it's on a car that is being used I have a set of 1924 plates that are in mint condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:56 am:

Yes, a very long shot. Better specify the state. New York?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael sharkey on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Yes. Thanks Steve. It is new York .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:12 am:

I don't know about New York licensing laws, but can you perhaps call the DMV and see if they have been registered to anyone recently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Prindle on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:16 am:

You can actually search on the NYS DMV website to see if anyone is using that number. It is a function under the custom plate page. I have used it several times to make sure I could use vintage plates I had bought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:45 am:

There was a license plate maker who advertised in Hemming's Motor News years ago and would make a copy of any plate you wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:01 am:

FYI - that looks like a Mifflinburg 131 "very stylish and comfortable" body.
This is from 1925

This is a 1919 from a few years ago
It has the optional rear fenders, tail light, and license bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:16 am:

New York plates were, and perhaps still are, issued also by region and sometimes by city.
Where did your great-grandfather live? If the plates still exist, perhaps they are more apt to be found locally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Check first. Some states, incl. Michigan, only allow original plates. No reproductions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael sharkey on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

I just looked up the plate number and it seems to be in use.
My grandfather was from queens but Moved up here to the Catskills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

The number is probably in use on modern plates. But if by some miracle these are your grandfather's old plates, perhaps the current owner would be willing to swap for another set.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration