U and J photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: U and J photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 01:21 am:

Been working on three U & J carbs trying to get them out. Probably pretty rare to see 3 of them all together so thought I'd post some pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 01:28 am:

Here is the rarest part of a U & J. This is the original choke control for the dash.

And an original rod.

Machining the body to fit a bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:29 am:

LIKE !!!
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 03:32 am:

Nice. So very nice. Stan, You do good work.
Thank you for sharing these with us.
Those sure are a good looking carburetor for a T! How well do they start and perform? And do they clear the generator if you have one?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Thanks, if you look carefully you can see that the later style manifold sets the U & J back about half an inch so it will clear the generator.

They are a very good carburetor. They have only one adjustment, once it is dialed in you just run it and forget it. Probably a little more power and speed than an OF, considerably more than an NH but still with good mileage. They were very popular as an accessory carb but nearly every bowl split. I have probably only seen one bowl, including several NOS ones, that is not split. They are thin and made of hard brass. They also use a lot of odd sizes, there is no other bowl I have ever found that fits the body without machining the body. A Holley G bowl is too small and the bottom hole is not big enough. I have never been able to find a tap and die set correct for the threads on the bottom of the body. They measure out to a little over 1 1/16. Seems like Metric should work but there is nothing I can find that matches the threads and the size. If the nut is gone I have to machine and thread one.

I think the best thing about them may be that they look so cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

I am going to be working with one of the new owners of the above to repop that choke control. I've never seen one before except in the literature. It is a very cool piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

Stan, is that choke control threaded or just the way I'm looking at it? Beautiful work as always. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Got interrupted with a phone call and had to come in the office so I'll answer the question and post another picture.

It is a notched rod that runs through a sleeve that has a spring loaded ball to hold it in place.

There is just a wire that goes down from the end of the rod to the carb choke arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Stan, VERY NICE WORK! put me down for a choke control when you repop them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Stan,I just acquired a Stromberg modelK,No 1. It is missing the control arms.Do you have any pictures of one that is complete?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

They cleaned up really nice! Put me down for a rod and choke control, too! Can you post any pics of a recently rebuilt RF, also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

It will be awhile before we do anything on them. I'm so buried in work and projects this is pretty far down the list. I'll post them if we ever get them done.

Mark, I don't take photos of carbs anymore unless it is something special like these 3 U & J's. You can find several RF's on my website. Not recently rebuilt but they are about the same. www.strombergof.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

It will be awhile before we do anything on them. I'm so buried in work and projects this is pretty far down the list. I'll post them if we ever get them done.

Mark, I don't take photos of carbs anymore unless it is something special like these 3 U & J's. You can find several RF's on my website. Not recently rebuilt but they are about the same. www.strombergof.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

I have no idea.....................

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Stan, you're an artist!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

They are pretty.Once you get to polishing Brass,it is hard to stop.To bad these carbs and the OF's are so hard to find .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 12:28 am:

There have been a couple of OF's ending on ebay in the last week (way over priced for as found condition). What I haven't seen in a while are the Schebler FA's. Not really, well sorta, looking for one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 01:20 am:

Hasn't been much at all for T carbs that I have seen. Those OF's were out of sight for what they were, I thought. I'm having some OF parts cut, when I get them I will have at least a dozen OF's to build up. I have lots of bodies and inner parts, just need the steel parts to make them work. I spent a couple hours the other night making brass plugs in various sizes for them, I'm always short of those, now have a drawer full of them. Too many projects, not enough time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration