Ot or not New aluminum bodied pick ups

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ot or not New aluminum bodied pick ups
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Were some of the earlier Model T Ford aluminum?
I think a few of the later ones were too.
You would think if they were doing research on some thing like this that they would stay with one brand.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/fleets-trucks-and-accessories/how-new-and-unique- is-the-aluminum-body-pickup_o.aspx?dfpzone=blogs.davidfrane&utm_source=newslette r&utm_content=jump&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TOTTU_021715&day=2015-02-17

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Yes some earlier T's were aluminum, but I can't remember exactly what years and models. Maybe the enclosed cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Beaudett made Model T bodies with aluminum panels until september 1909. 1915 Centerdoors also had aluminum panels over a wooden framework and 1923-24 Fordors had it too. After som time only the metal over the belt line was aluminum on the Fordors, don't know for how long?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

The story says the aluminum body panels are held in place by rivets and ADHESIVES! I wonder how long that will last. I saw this coming and rushed out to order a '14, the last of the proven, steel Fords. I'll let others take their chances with the aluminum trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Yellowstone Park Bus bodies were aluminum in the 20's. The panels were thicker than steel body panels so I don't think they were saving much weight. Also, some manufacturers were using cast aluminum bodies.

Go figure.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Herb I looked at the build sheet for my 1911 Torpedo from the Bebson Ford Research Center and it states under the heading Car Assembling body metal under that it reads hand written aluminum under that made by Pontiac

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

The entire body on some 1909 touring cars were aluminum. Fenders, running boards and splash aprons were steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

The tahoe doors are glued on. No bolts, how does that make you feel? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Some of the 1909 touring cars had all aluminum bodies. Fenders, running boards and splash aprons were steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

Audi A8 has been made in aluminum with a unibody design since 1994. Check one of the first ones how it'll hold up over time. They're made from a mix of extruded profiles, cast pieces and stamped sheet alu panels welded, riveted and glued together. I think they hold up OK over time. Later models has less weld seams and more riveting and glueing since it's harder to assure the quality of arc welding in aluminum than the other methods.

The main risk when designing with aluminum in cars is the contact with steel parts. If the steel doesn't have the right coating giving some isolation between the metals, then corrosion will inevitably follow in humid conditions.

Jaguar has also made cars with all aluminum unibody design for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Sorry, I looked for my message after posting and it was not there. After posting a second time, the first one also came back from some hidden hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

I don't know a lot about the history of aluminum bodied Model T Fords but I do own a 1925 Fordor that is aluminum on the body from the beltline up plus the door skins. After 90 years the aluminum is in near perfect condition and, to the best of my knowledge and observation, has never been restored. In 1925 the Fordors were the lowest production model (81,050 out of a total production of 1,703,642), During WWII many of these limited production Fordors were found to be worn out and parts, tires and gas were scarce so they were donated to the war time scrap drives (the aircraft industry needed all the aluminum scrap they could get). It was considered unpatriotic not to donate. I know, I was on several of those scrap drives.
As a result it is now estimated that less than .5% of the Model T's still on the road are aluminum bodied Fordors (only produced with aluminum in '23, '24, and '25). At the 2008 Richmond centennial I found only one 1925 Fordor which, since there were approximately a 1,000 T's present, somewhat validates the scarcity estimate. When I show my Fordor it is always a great talking point and an item of interest to many car folks. One can peck on the upper body with ones knuckles then the lower sheet metal panels and the difference in sound is very convincing. All in all, I find the aluminum Fordors to be very rare and interesting even though they don't seem to carry a value premium. Nobody knows so nobody cares (does a tree make a noise when it falls in the forest?)
Attached,(I hope) is a copy of the placard I use when showing my Fordor. The car is on my profile although a lot of restoration work has been done since the picture was taken.

Ajo Bill

application/mswordFORDOR SHOW PLACARD
MODEL T PLACARD1.doc (25.1 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Ford's Jaguar division converted the XJ series to aluminum in 2006-7. It no longer had the low, flat roof of the earlier ones, so is easy to spot. They claimed a weight savings of 200 pounds in a 4,200 pound car. Doesn't sound like much for the supposed $Billion they spent re-tooling.

Not long after that, Ford sold off its foreign brands.

I expect the F-150 to have a better future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

Steve Jelf owns an aluminum bodied fordor:

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG86.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

From 1966 up into the early '90s, the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow series cars had aluminum doors, hood and trunk lid. The rest of it was steel.

I bought one of the new Dodge Challengers when they came out a few years ago. They have aluminum hoods. I'm guessing the Chargers and 300s are like that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Chevy has been glueing their truck panels for years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Late 40,and early 50s Fords and Mercs used aluminum for small body parts. Hoods on F150s have been aluminum for years and on some other Ford products as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Local Ford dealer told me that in order to do body work on that new 150, he has to buy a special welder. $38,000.00 for just the machine, not counting the special room for it and filter equipment. Just to save a little gas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Would any body be interested in the aluminum panels for a fordor? From the belt up including the doors skins? Have the hinges and the angled pieces. They can be brought to Chickasha. I have no Idea what Id ever do with them. I'm T poor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith bailey on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

I own one of the aluminum body fordors....haven't touched it yet..... Any info on this would be great..... Heard it was only made for a for a few months late 22 early 23???? Any info would be helpful in the restoration process ...... Thanks keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

I have a 1924 fordor with all aluminum body. above and below the belt line. I was thinking of bring it to chickasha to sell. anyone interested??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

There is a Ford factory photo in Bruce's books that shows an aluminum closed truck cab on a car chassis (if I remember correctly) that had a screened aluminum pickup box and aluminum fenders. It was supposedly used at an airport for mail service.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration