Cochrane Alberta tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cochrane Alberta tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:45 am:

I am looking at the registration fee for the MTFCA Summer tour in Cochrane Canada. I usually do the club International's Summer tour.

The entry fee for this is $590 for a car, driver, and passenger. Is this typical? How many meals and what else does it include?does it include?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:10 am:

It took me awhile but I found contact info on the tour website.

http://www.foothillsmodeltfordclub.com/contactus.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:23 am:

The info in the Vintage Ford indicates the cost for a car and driver is $395 plus $195 for each passenger.
The comparable fees for the tour in San Diego were a little less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

I called Ross yesterday to find out what exactly we were paying for on the tour. He says there is nearly one meal provided everyday, and some times two, he also said that there are park fees that are paid in advance as well as museum fees. There are also administrative costs that are covered in the fee.

I would say this cost isn't typical for the tours, but often the hosts don't prepay for so many things. This should be a good tour for those that like to be taken care of.

Right now the U.S. dollar is higher than the Canadian so you should be able to make your dollar go farther.

My wife and I talked about going but after adding up the expenses of lodging, tour fees, travel, food, we decided we would rather spend $3000 on something else. I hope you all have a good time!

p.s. I thought I read that the Foothills club had no intentions of making money off this tour and extra money was to be redistributed... I could be wrong though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

It's the perfect opportunity to see the famous Calgary Stampede and then attend the Model T tour.

Unfortunately it doesn't mesh well with the Montana 500 this year.

We hope to see many of you there! It looks like some wonderful scenery and T driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Like Mike Robison, I would like to attend this tour but can't justify the expense. You can add another thousand or so to his gas cost to drive there from where I am. I simply cannot afford to rub shoulders with you high rollers who can afford several thousand dollars to attend a tour. I'm not begrudging anyone, that's just the way it is. Tours like this are for rich folks, not me. By the way, the MTFCI's 50th anniversary tour in Clear Lake Iowa in 2006 had an entry fee of $50. I was there, along with 375 other Model T'ers.

The MTFCI's National tour this year is in Branson, MO, less than a hundred miles from me. Their tour fee is $264 for car and driver. I can afford that, so I'll be there. Ironically, it's the same week as the MTFCA's tour. So y'all have fun in Canada; we'll do the same here in the Heartland. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

$590.00 for a tour entry fee?!! Wow. I'm used to paying $30.00. Are you sure this isn't for a Rolls Royce Club? I'm sure it's quite the tour. I just can't imagine most average T owners showing up though. It would be interesting to hear more opinions on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

I'm not going either. I'm only about 350 miles away but 6 nights at $150 and an $600 entry fee is beyond what I can do. I'll probably run up for a day and see who's there and do a shake and howdy run and turn around and come back home and go back to work. That's what I did last time. Went for a couple days. Right now exchange is $.80 US = $1.00 Canadian but who knows what it will be by summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

I'll tour with the Calgary group any time they are willing to host a big one. Been on the last 3 MTFCA Nationals they did and all were excellent. Wonderful and varied scenery, great people, fine museums and sightseeing opportunities. Looking forward to doing it again this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Giddy Up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Walt has nailed it. These guys do a fantastic job! Ross states on the tour web page that they have 100 cars registered with 200 people planning to attend so far. I'm sure this is going to be a great one, I'm looking forward to it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

As Mike Walker said above, the MTFCA National Tour this year in Cochrane, Alberta is on exactly the same week as the MTFCI National Tour in Branson, MO, July 12 to 17th, 2015.

This is very poor planning, as some of us like to and used to go on both clubs tours every year. It's like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

The MTFCI always used to have their tour in the third week of July and the MTFCA had their tour the third week of June, so it was possible to go on both tours. Having both tours on the same or subsequent weeks makes that impossible.

As of right now, the MTFCI already has their 2016 tour planned. I'm traveling now and don't have that information available, but perhaps someone can post where and when it is. Once one club has their tour planned, the other club should make sure their tour is NOT in the same week or the week before or after it.

Of course, planning for these national tours has to start several years ahead of time, but there should still be communication between the clubs to avoid this type of scheduling problem.

I would appreciate it if both clubs could respond to this issue.

Keith (PS - I'm one guy who likes to go on as many tours as possible.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 01:11 am:

Keith, we planned the date to tie in with the Calgary Stampede, a world class event that is one week prior to our tour. I'm hearing that alot are taking it in, and spending 3-5 extra days (and $$)

Tour information is available at: www.mtfca50.com

Tours are not cheap, we as a committee have done our best to provide first class meals and top notch venues. Our last tour in this part of Alberta was called a '10 pound tour' (don't ask me how i know) . . .

As to travel costs, we have 9 Kiwis attending!

Ross, Registrar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 08:59 am:

So where is the MTFCI 2016 tour?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Must be a secret. It's not on the website, and I didn't find it in the MTT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:44 am:

I googled it and got this from the MTFCI website:

Re: 2016 tour
Ken, The 2016 International Tour will be held in Auburn, NY
We will keep everyone updated in the T Times and at www.modelt.org

Steve Bumgarner
Executive Director

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Myself and my two sons made the last Calgary tour. The tour was great with a lot of scenery. A two speed rear end or aux transmission would be great as there are some roads that would require low band or a down shift with that two speed.
The big problem for me was getting from Texas to Canada. We toke turns driving, but it was still a very long trip. I replaced one trailer axle and three tires on the trip. Tires looked good but I guess they were old.
Do not forget your PASSPORT as I believe it is required for any trip out of the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Myself and my two sons made the last Calgary tour. The tour was great with a lot of scenery. A two speed rear end or aux transmission would be great as there are some roads that would require low band or a down shift with that two speed.
The big problem for me was getting from Texas to Canada. We toke turns driving, but it was still a very long trip. I replaced one trailer axle and three tires on the trip. Tires looked good but I guess they were old.
Do not forget your PASSPORT as I believe it is required for any trip out of the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:15 am:

The computer did it to me again, told me my name and password were incorrect. I re-entered them and the result was a double post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:27 am:

I tried another search. All I found was what Mike posted above. Steve tells where, but not when. I'll post the question on the forum and see if we can find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Ross - Thank you for that information. I'm not complaining about the cost of the tour. I would really like to go on it as it sounds like a lot of fun and good T driving. I'm just disappointed that both tours are scheduled on exactly the same week.

You mention that this tour was planned to tie in to the Calgary Stampede to be held the week prior to the tour. I understand that, but instead of having the tour the week following the Calgary Stampede, could it have been the week before, thus not having a date conflict with the MTFCI tour? Was this ever considered?

That's what I'm getting at - date co-ordination on tours between both clubs so they arn't held on the same week or on subsequent weeks, so people can attend both tours if they so desire.

I'm sorry for the rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine. This date conflict almost happened once before, but the Calgary tour week was then changed. Due to the lead times involved, this of course, must be worked out way ahead of time.

I invite more comments on this topic....what do all of you have to say?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Keith
I don't recall if you attended the last tour put on by the Calgary club "called Cowboys and Coalmines". It was on the last week in June and so was conveniently before Stampede. It also reduced the cost a small amount being before the summer vacation season was in full swing. So it does work out sometime

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 06:04 pm:

I don't know where the $595. cost of the tour came from.

I believe the actual cost of car and driver is $395.00 unless I got a special discount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Sorry I just checked the site and read the post again. I also paid the 590 plus an additional youth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Just sent ($1.15 postage) a check for $765 (less than the cost of a black radiator).

Tours are more valuable to me than my Model Ts.
Without attending National Tours (events) I would not have had the opportunity to meet in person 10 of the above posters.

Giddy Up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bumgarner on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

The MTFCI Annual Tour will be held in Auburn, NY starting July 17-22, 2016. The MTFCI Annual Tour is usually the 3rd week of July every year.

Steve Bumgarner
Executive Director MTFCI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Steve - Thank you for that information.

Les - No, We were not on the last tour in Calgary. I don't remember why either...must be a senior moment. :-)

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration