Old Photo - Death Valley Touring 1920's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Death Valley Touring 1920's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Wow. Cool pics Jay! Or should I say HOT!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Look on the bright side. He wasn't up to his axles in mud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:11 am:

And he's carrying two spare tires, just in case!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

They now call that place Bad Water and not Poor Water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Cool pictures Jay. One of my favorite parts of the country. HOT, dry and beautiful. Maybe you have to be a true desert rat like myself to appreciate the beauty of the desert. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

The Long Beach and San Diego clubs did a couple of tours there last and we had a great time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

That first photo looks like the last potty stop for five hundred miles!
Although I have lived nearly all my life in Califunny, I was actually born in high desert Elko Nevada. I like trees a lot better. I just wish they weren't in Califunny.
Great photos as usual Jay! It almost looks like my coupe too.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

They better hope they don't breakdown.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Damn I'd hate to be out there, that's the Devil's Golf Course, those salt/sand deposits are pretty sharp and could probably tear up Model T tires quite easily. There is a road (of sorts) through them, but still all that salt just drags the moisture (what little there is) right out you and the air around you as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

The most memorable experiences of my life are the ones where a little (or a lot) of adventure
was encountered, often in rather unexpected and uncomfortable ways.

Does anyone remember the unremarkable and comfortable times ?

Afghanistan was the best and worst experience of my life, all wrapped up in one. Heat beyond
belief, dust storms, did I mention the heat ? Wicked-bitter cold, and biblical floods, bad people
and really bad people.

And then there were the good people. The finest men and women to ever walk the planet. The
incredible beauty, and the culture of the locals, the excitement of flying, being shot at, and helping
those in need.

I would not trade it for the world.

A T tour ANYWHERE is better than some plastic "Disneyland" vacation in my book. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Not to hijack this thread, but this is my great-grandpa's service station in Baker, CA at Hwy 27 where you turn off to the entrance to Death Valley. He started Baker in about 1923, and was friends with Death Valley Scotty and the first Death Valley_____ (can't remember his name). He built a service station, restaurant (with the 134 ft thermometer to remember the highest temperature ever recorded in Death Valley of 134 degrees), and garage half way between Las Vegas and San Bernadino for people who broke down on the road (Hwy 91 then, I-15 now). I grew up there for part of my life, and remember the 1922 Model T coupe he drove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Bob - That's a great picture of a really nice service station. Is the building still there?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Since he was selling ice cold beer, I presume the picture was taken after prohibition ended. (Unless it was near beer, so named by a very poor judge of distance.) Other than that, the picture looks as though it had been taken 14.3 miles beyond the middle of nowhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Part of the building is still there (it's been remodeled a couple of times, along with the motel and the restaurant). Our house across the street is now the Mad Greek Restaurant, and his old house is on Hwy 27 towards Death Valley.
The cars look mid-thirties? But he was kind of out past law enforcement. Sold alcohol, had slot machines on wheels that rolled back behind a curtain if the police stopped by (to get a free cold beer!).
Towards the end of the 20's, he became acquainted with Wyatt Earp who used to prospect out in the Mojave. Somewhere in the family we have a picture of my great-grandpa talking to Wyatt while leaning against his car (he kept a '26 T roadster for prospecting). It's in a book called "Pilgrims in The Desert" by Le Hayes.

Guess it's Hwy 127 (not 27 like I said before), and the picture of Wyatt's house.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration