If the people don't go to church the church will go to them.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: If the people don't go to church the church will go to them.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

The Church of the Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Very ingenious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 12:28 am:

If I'm not mistaken, there was an article about this T with a Church body many years ago (30?) in the Vintage Ford.

Does anyone know when?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 06:52 am:

Ah yes, a little piece of heaven when you drive your Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:23 am:

If that T also served beverages, the trip to heaven would be complete.
Oh, I forgot, for a few religions the T would have to serve those beverages hidden off the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

I found some disturbing stuff on the preacher in the photo, Rev. Branford Clarke. Don't know how much of it is true, but here's the Wikipedia article on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branford_Clarke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Very interesting Bob! All these years later I sometimes wonder, looking at the old photos, what was really going on. I imagine in modern times we tend to not see the down side of many vintage situations. The world was certainly a very different place than today's reality. Unfortunately, we're still not over prejudice and hate of people who are different. Just watch the news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

I guess his church would be convenient if a local protest erupted. Turn the crank and take off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

I wonder if the idiot was aware Jesus Christ was a Jewish Rabii?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Wikipedia says Vintage Ford 1989 has a story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

Such a shame. I used to look at that photo and feel admiration for the reverend's ingenuity and even a kind of kinshipónot just for his use of the beloved Tin Lizzie, but for his apparent missionary dedication.

It was very disappointing to see the misguided intent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Let's not be too hasty to judge our T-driving friend. The Klan has developed a
much narrower reputation for itself in the years since T's were around. Can we
say "politically correct", "agenda", or "self-serving propaganda" ??? Has anyone
read his work or know his bent ?

Just as our post-war culture has come to demonize Nazi's, careful study in the
context of the times reveals there was a lot more going on than we latter day
accolytes have been told. Who here knows about Charles Davenport and the E.R.O.
and our own USG's involvement in spoon-feeding the Eugenics movement to
Germany ? Our post-war pious attitude certainly does not bely our dirty hands.

But then again, it's much easier to point fingers and loudly proclaim that we are
above "all that", whatever "all that" may be.

Few things more repulsive than an ignorant, boastful hypocrite. Let's make sure
we know our subject before casting stones, amigos. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

Go to other people's funerals or they won't come to yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

I guess if he was a Protestant minister preaching anti-catholic, anti-Semitic, anti-black, anti-immigration, anti-communism and stood for strict prohibition and strict Protestant rhetoric then I figure he was far from a saint. He co-authored several pro-klan books. Over 60% of the clan was made up of Protestant ministers. I think we can judge our minister friend and not worry to much about being unfair to his good name. My surprise stems from the fact we've currently got radicals in position inside this country that spew the same crap he was pushing. There's a big fat preacher man who contributes to Fox News on a regular basis who in my opinion is no better than Nathan Bedford Forrest, Branford Clarke or many of the Neo-Nazi freaks currently running around in this country spouting their WASP sentiments and poisoning our citizens thoughts. Anytime a religious zealot starts to make moves to control people's political beliefs by condemning everybody but his fraternal brothers there's a problem. Whether it's Al Sharpton or Mike Huckabee, the Reverend Wright or any other nutcase that uses the fear of God to influence the voting public by screwing with their God fearing emotions they're open game for criticism.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Mike Conte, I think you opened a very large can of worms and all under the watchfull eyes of the fellow that is supposed to be watching from upstairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Until the moment I posted that picture I had no idea who it was posing with the car or what he did, thought and wrote.
I donít even remember where I found it. As far as I am concerned it is the car that matters not the person with it.
Itís interesting to know the story around it. There are so many old photos that we see that we will never know who they are and the stories behind them. For all we know they could be serial killer and worse.
If we are going to judge or worry about the circumstance or story behind every car or photo then we can forget about many things related to that period. It was a different time and things we find repulsive today was accepted then and people we find normal and acceptable today (Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga) would have been tarred and feathered back then.

To me itís a Model T with a structure built on it that happens to look like a church.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

And so much of what we think is important or true today? Will be looked back upon fifty or a hundred years from now as ridiculous or repulsive. Someday. Maybe. Mankind can learn to use his collective mind and find what is truly right, instead of using his sheep heart to keep following one wrong crowd after another.
Mike C, It is a neat photo. I have seen it before and enjoyed seeing it again. Thank you for posting it. Regardless of the commentary that followed. That also is interesting,and historically important. Even though it is not so much important to the model T in the photo. The photo is just another example of the many things model Ts were used for.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

It is the learned thinker who can discuss any subject without emotional attachment.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration