Old Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

Mount Rubidoux 1923

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 02:55 am:

Car #1, Back up boys, I'm going home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 06:49 am:

It is interesting that in many old pictures that members post all the cars are all bunched together with no worry or concern about being somewhere else in a hurry. I think it's because they made these gatherings an all day social event. Some of the pictures show everyone enjoying a picnic along the road as they travel.

Today we can get from point "A" to point "B" in one third the time it took them and instead of making one event our daily destination we have several places to go all in the same day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Even 1913 would probably be a little late for that one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:20 am:

I've thought about this parking arrangement and the idea that nobody seemed to need to be somewhere else in a hurry. Think about it. How would they even know they needed to be somewhere else? Once they went into such an event it would be very difficult to find them even if a live messenger was sent in. They surely didn't get a phone call, text or email. Facebook, Twitter and the like we're decades off into the future.

I think they didn't worry about parking in a "sardine can" because once they decided to attend such an event it was just understood they would be out of touch for the duration. There was pretty much zero chance something important would "come up". If something important did happen they'd find out about it when they got home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:34 am:

Good grief. How did they ever survive without a smart phone glued to their ear? How could they ever let life go on without 24/7 contact to every thing and every body? Poor people must have been nervous wrecks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Although not a parking story, a case in point:

My grandparents lived in San Jose, CA. My grandfather owned a bakery that had their residence in the same structure. One fine Saturday in 1925 they drove to Santa Cruz for a day at the beach. My dad was 5 years old. The family car was a 1919 Moon touring car.

When they returned home that evening they arrived to see fire crews loading their gear back onto the fire trucks. The place had burned flat while they were gone.

Of course the point is that there was no means to communicate with them during the event. It was, as Gary points out, a very different world than we live in today.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration