OT - Early Ford owners, Model B, the "forgotten Ford" and the Wild West

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Early Ford owners, Model B, the "forgotten Ford" and the Wild West
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:29 am:

It appears the Ford Model B was a popular car in an unexpected part of the country, territorial New Mexico.

According to "The New Mexico History Review," published in 1936, two model B were among the first four cars introduced to Santa Fe. And both cars were owned by territorial politicians, Governor Otero, and Territorial Secretary Raynolds:

Evidently the cars shipped in with no Ford dealer in sight, and the new owners hired a party to "set up" the cars:

Soon after, another New Mexico resident, Darby A. Day, buys a Model B. Mr. Day will later become owner of the Darby A. Day insurance agency, one of the largest insurance agencies in the U.S. during the 1920's:

Back to Governor Otero. In addition to being appointed as territorial Governor, he had led an interesting life in the old west, including brushes with several famous figures. As described in Wikipedia, the Governor rode with the Earps and Doc Holiday in some of the vendetta rides following the OK Corral. He also knew Billy the Kid, and authored a book about the Kid and Lincoln County wars. He also attended St. Louis and Notre Dame Universities.

How's that for a Wild West story?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Hello Rob:
Any idea how many of these cars exist today?
Thx,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Too bad there isn't an easy way to post a thread once and have it appear multiple different forums, these threads would sure help enrich the Early Ford Registry forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Scott,
I think seven Model B is the estimate generally accepted. There may be one more that was recently recreated from a few parts.

Mark,
I'll probably submit this to the Early Ford Registry for the newsletter. Our website (Early Ford) is obviously less used, and I don't want to swamp the site with all this. And, many of the people on the EFR site also frequent MTFCA.

I'm just happy anyone reads this stuff, as it takes me a little time to prep it.

Have a good weekend,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:59 am:

i always enjoy your findings Rob, thanks for the effort

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Keep posting, Rob. This stuff's great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Keep it up Rob. This is absolutely fascinating research. I always look forward to all of these postings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:26 am:

I am still reading!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration