Tarn-X Availability

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tarn-X Availability
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

We have all seen many threads on brass polish so I won't bore everyone with how good Tarn-X is. We haven't been able to get it for several years. Went with the wife to Wal-Mart shopping for groceries and while wondering around stumbled upon the cleaning section. Found a Tarn-X bottle (not a can like it was) on the shelf. Haven't tried it but the label says "original formula". Thought you all would be interested and should be able to ask for it a Wal-Mart if they don't have it on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Did you read the label?

"Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, acids, bases, and bleach. Do not use on stainless steel, chrome, pewter, aluminum, brass, zinc, marble, pearls, opals, and other porous stones."

It's also hazardous to any one with heart, liver, thyroid, blood or bone marrow problems. It can also damage the reproductive system and is listed as a probable carcinogen.

But hey, if it saves 30 minutes of your life, it must be good. Right? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Google Tarn-x. Ken is right . That stuff shouldn't be on the market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Call someone in California and it will be banned like a lot of other items.
I used Red Devil Lye to cure my olive's, now banned in the stores but I can go to my Ace Hardware and buy a drain cleaner just like the Red Devil and it does a great job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

That stuff scares me Bill. I use a salt/wine brine to cure my olives. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Not to drift too much but I used sodium hydroxide (lye) to push the pH in my flash-copper plating tank. I used potassium hydroxide (also a lye) as an electrolyte to strip chrome off parts. Both are readily available from the soap making and bio-fuel web sites. Cheaper than hardware store lye I might add.

Think about that while curing your olives. :-)

But if you eat hominy, you're eating lye too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

I think you guys are confused on one small issue. The product that WAS a great brass polish was not Tarn-X but rather was Tarnite which was for brass and yes it worked very fast and was a favorite polish of many. It was yanked off the market a few years ago but I never got the full story. I have a couple cans of it (yes it came in a yellow can about the size of old time lighter fluid). I don't think TarnX was ever for brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 06:06 am:

This is the nasty stuff. I bought this at Walmart for other purposes about 5 years ago.

tarntarnx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:17 am:

I must be in a fog. I am sorry for starting this post. I saw this and originally saw it as "Tar-nite" which is the product I was using. I'm glad you all got me awake!!! Tar-nite has been my favorite for brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Yep Tarnite was good stuff but Government knows best - I love Big Brother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:18 am:

I don't think the Government had a hand here. A Google search of "Tarnite" shows that the manufacturer was a company called Water Master located in New Jersey.

A search of the Water Master Company in New Jersey shows that company may now be defunct.

Perhaps someone out there has a small amount left in a can and they can have it analized. At least that way we'll know what's in it and, if possible, we can make it for ourselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:03 am:

You can make your own polish now. They all pretty much contain the same ingredients; silica and/or talc, solvent, alcohol, emulsifier, ammonia and water. There's technical variations in the individual compounds to get around patents but that's the basic ingredients for brass polish. Some of the variations for ammonia include urea compounds. You make that yourself every day. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration