Spring Shackle Bushings Out Of Brass??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spring Shackle Bushings Out Of Brass??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 01:23 am:

I found some brass bushings at the hardware store that have the same OD as the new steel ones. I just made the ID a little larger. Do you think brass is tough enough for spring shackle bushings? (They cost about 6 times more than from a T vender, but more convenient to acquire.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 01:36 am:

Ford used steel because it was cheap, all the pommy cars for as long and as far back as I can remember, used brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 02:09 am:

Thanks! How's the weather down there. Here in California we are having great weather but we need rain bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 02:48 am:

I'm at the bottom of Australia and normally at this time of year, being summer, it's fairly warm 25c to the mid 30's, temp is OK but we have been having high humidity this summer and that takes it's toll on the energy factor, went to, I would say, our biggest swap meet yesterday, 3000+ sites, 5 hours of brisk walking and hardly a T part in sight, enough to drive a bloke to drink,(as if I need an excuse).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 03:12 am:

I may lose my T shop in October so I may take a space at an upcoming swap meet at Auburn, California, about 29 miles from here. I have to get rid of a lifetime pile of "precious junk". I have about two 18 foot flatbed trailer loads of stuff. My birthday is today and at 83 years I have to start liquidating. I'm putting a Speedster together so I can sell a whole bunch of parts at once.

Your weather sounds like Kansas...Hot and humid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 06:59 am:

Happy Birthday Hal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:09 am:

The bushing everybody calls brass are actually bronze. I figure it's OK to use them instead of steel. Even Original Smith uses them. I also used a bronze bushing for my hand crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:00 am:

I think shackles are a great place for the softer bronze bushings. I'd rather see most of the wear occur on the bushings, not the shackles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:47 am:

All the early bushings were brass, and I agree with Mike 100% on shackle wear. I put brass in my '25 when I restored it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:20 am:

We've talked about this before.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/476405.html?1410573224

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

THANKS. It's brass (bronze) for me. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

The original bushings in the front spring of my unrestored 1917 roadster were bronze before I replaced them.

The rear spring still has the original bushings but I can't remember of they are bronze or steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Both my 1926 rear springs had steel bushings in them with minor wear that were more or less impossible to cut with a hacksaw blade. My impression was they were hardened from Ford?

Might have been a working idea back when new quality shackles were available cheap from Ford, but I took out the hardening with the torch, cut and removed the steel bushings and made new bushings in the lathe from delrin plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

I make the bushings out of delrin also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Frank, you obviously did not see me on site 1200. I had almost all T parts, plus a few hand tools to go. I picked up a nice complete Stromberg OF, a very good 23-25 front mudguard and three Dill adjustable valve covers, all in my only short walk early on Friday.

Sorry not to have caught up.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:48 am:

I believe Ford figured it was easier for the farmers to replace the shackle than the bushings! Of course he wasn't thinking that anyone would be driving these cars 100 years later either!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration