Split Rims Out Of Round

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Split Rims Out Of Round
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 06:05 am:

I need help finding someone who straighten Split Rims. My touring car wheels are out of round and bent. Who can straighten these Split Rims? The car vibrates terribly bad the faster I drive. I am going to tear up something if I can 't get these rims straight. Any help on this issue is appreciated . Thank you. Dan. Loveland ,Colorado

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 08:27 am:

I'm not sure who straightens rims Daniel. I do know it's easy to not tighten the lug nuts evenly - and that can make the rim really crazy. I have split rims and whenever I put one on and am able, I slowly spin the wheel and make sure the lugs are tightened evenly so that the wheel runs true. Just an idea to consider. Do you know or can you see or feel any bends or flat spots?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Flat spots and out of round. Tightened lug nuts many times one turn at a time... It it is the split rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Split rims can get out of round or bent when the tire is removed from them. If your not careful you can pry the tire off the rim using to much force by warping or over curling the rim. I know because I've done it!

Since they are split it is fairly easy to do it. We just have to remember to not 'really get down' on them to remove a tire.

I don't know if that's what your problem could be its something to keep in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:37 am:

When it comes to tires wheels and rims, I take no chances. Get new ones. Your life's worth the money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Daniel - Have you balanced the tire & rim? This can make a world of difference.

There are several ways to balance the tire & rim, and it's not hard to do it.

1. Balancing beads are available from the vendors I think. They're what is used in semi - truck tires.

2. Use stick on weights like are used on mag wheels. Get them at Autozone or similiar places.

3. Wrap solder around the spokes. This looks ugly, but it works.

How to do this has been described in the past on this Forum. Do a search and you'll find it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:10 am:

they can get out of round bad using those 3 jaw rim spreader tools if you get too crazy with them. the tool must be positioned so its making the circle smaller, not making and egg. only pull enough for the two ends to overlap each other, then make the circle smaller while keeping the ends touching while they overlap. only go as far as you need to, which should not be all the way until your hitting the valve stem. some effort with pry bars still required

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Thank you guys... Dan C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

Clayton is spot on regarding the use and misuse of the rim spreader.

Try this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

I wouldn't recommend this with a good straight rim, but worth a try since the rims are already bent. You might try locking the rim without the tire installed and try to use the rim spreader to pull or push the rim into round. Move it around to various positions on the rim to do this. Worth a try and since the rim is already bent, you might be able to make it better.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

i have just clamped them in a vise to straighten them. you need a vise that wont move, and just keep checking with a tape. they are springy, and it is work, but it can be done

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration