Spark Plug Parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark Plug Parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Does anyone know where you can find repair parts for the old "take apart" plugs? More specifically, the screw on electrode cap and the crushable copper rings used between the two parts of the spark plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Try http://www.restorationstuff.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

There is no cap that screws on. On the later X plugs the brass cap is crimped onto the insulator. The 8-32 electrode post is embedded in it. They don't separate. The earlier X plugs have a small washer and nut on top to fit the removable 5-40 electrode.

You won't find an exact reproduction of the washers. I tried to get some of the current ones from the manufacturer with no success. That's just as well, because I'm not impressed with them. What I have found, I think, is better copper crush gaskets I bought from an aircraft supply.

All the information is here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/513718.html?1422570598

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Like Steve, I have looked for replacement washers for the Champion X and A 25 take apart plugs. Googled and looked at every combination of words that might apply to the little, very thin copper gaskets used on same.I have looked up "conical crush washers", "cupped copper washers", etc, etc. I know there has to be a conical washer to take up irregularities on couplings where they might leak, but I cannot find anything anywhere.I do know the newer X use a much thicker copper sealing gasket than the older ones, so Steve's idea of crush gaskets may be the only way to go. These are the same type as are used in exhaust and intake make-up, only larger. Maybe a member could stamp out thin copper washers that would conform to the electrode when tightened, thereby sealing the plug. Any takers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

I seem to me that the main sealing washer on some plugs I have seen were more then just cupped washers and some have asbestos packing built into them. What are the modern take a part Champion's using to seal with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

I haven't driven a lot of miles on these, but they seem to be OK so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Mark, the new ones have just a narrow copper ring. As I mentioned above, I wasn't impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 01:58 am:

Thanks Steve, they cost to much to just take apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Steve, I wonder what is the composition of the white filler inside the copper? Is it heat sensitive? If so, can it be picked out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

I assume the stuff inside the gaskets is an asbestos substitute. It must take the heat OK. I haven't seen any fire coming out the tops of my plugs when car is running. :-) I suppose after they've run awhile I should open up a plug and take a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

It's more then likely the same stuff as used in the manifold gaskets.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration