Chickasha news flash

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Chickasha news flash
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

new this year if you want to plug in your coffee pot or anything else it will cost you $20.00 bucks a day.just got the word from Susie today!!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 21, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

I guess I'll go to McDonald's to plug in my computer. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Even a cell phone charger ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:20 am:

i don't know about cell phones, but i wont go without my car charger!!!! if computer was that important to me i would just stay home.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:08 am:

George (SUNNY), don't be a tightwad, they are leasing the building and grounds to make money, not loose money.
I am more worried about parking in that large lot to the East before the swap meet starts. There was supposed to be some construction work and equipment on this lot. Susie or someone was supposed to let us know if that lot was available for the swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

I'm no expert, but $20 per day seems kind of high for electricity. But when I'm at a swap meet I'm very rarely in need of electricity, so if I were a vendor I could do without. I'm sure there are others who would need it, though.

Is this price set by the fairgrounds staff, or is it by the swap meet staff? Not trying to make waves, but just wondering who's coming up with the numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

what hear its the fairgrounds.i wont be surprised if they are the ones that come around to collect. check out my $1.00 table on the other site.see you charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Since my rv is self contained I guess I will need to run the genny a few hours each day to charge the batteries. At a half gallon of gas per hour that is still less than $20 per day. That is sure a big margin on that electric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Steven,

You should sell electricity instead of car parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Sounds to me like the Erslands are pushing us toward Richmond, IN for the mid-America pre war swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

My perspective, which I recognize may not be shared by many others, is that if the tipping point for a go/no-go decision is $20 (irrespective of who is pocketing the cash....for whatever reason) maybe going is a bad idea.

With or without the electricity surcharge, I doubt that either the fair grounds or the Ersland's are getting rich as a result of organizing and holding the swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Another perspective which may not be shared by others is that there will always be the piss and moan types no matter what the situation is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

You got that right John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

Most likely this is a move by the fairgrounds board. While I agree that $20 isn't enough to decide whether I go or not, I'm tight enough with a dollar that I'll do as I usually do when traveling. I'll go to the local McDonalds, enjoy a nice cup of tea, and use the free wi-fi. It's not a major tragedy. Actually, twenty dollars I won't be paying here is cheap compared to the fees I also don't pay for electric hook-ups I don't use at some other meets. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

It is not a fee imposed by the Erslands for electricity, but by the fair grounds. I asked about hooking up a laptop or cell phone charger and was told to do so but if the fair grounds saw it and informed the Erslands that they would need to collect. This from a phone call today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

take a small generator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Cancel the whole event! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

For those needing to charge a phone battery or something like that, do it at your motel, unless you're one of those thrifty ones who would rather sleep on a hard concrete floor at the fairgrounds. I won't have to worry about it. I've made my last Chickasha for the lack of retail sales. Too many buyers are vendors wanting to prey on sellers like vultures. There's not enough retail buyers, there. I'll stick to Decatur and other Texas swap meets. If I can't get a decent price for my parts, at least I won't have to travel as far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Kahler- Springfield, MO on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:05 am:

It's my understanding it's the RV park around the corner was bitching a couple of years ago about competing with fairgrounds. It went from $15 to $20. I can do my house and shop on $5 a day. I say boycott the RV park!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:26 am:

It is common now any time there is a event to over charge for electric. Just take a jump starter and a inverter to run your lap top and let them eat the electric. Most all the tractor shows I attend have went up.Electric rates have not went up so much to call for a 20 dollar charge for what little a coffee pot would use.
If I were a vendor at this event I would email the local rv park and tell them where they can go and take their crappy little park with them..

To those that think it is wrong for 20 bucks to change your minds,have you ever thought for once it may be out of principle that folks are tired of getting screwed and decide enough is enough? You know,the old "the straw that broke the camels back".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:34 am:

When I first came to this forum, I was happily impressed by the humbled,
self-effacing humor of people with 20 horsepower cars.

I am beginning to see the downside to this is the cheapskate angle seems
to run pretty heavy here too. I know everyone likes a good deal, and what
constitutes a "good deal" varies from person to person. But let's not lose
sight of the fact that few things are so socially unattractive as the tightwad
cheapskate. I have a "friend" (and known plenty of others) who will cheat
the waitress out of a tip or not chip in for gas when a group of us travel. I
have had to front this chump off more than once for it, and now refuse to do
anything with him because of his low ethics and dumping on the rest of us
in the process. Remarkably, he seems oblivious that anything might be amiss
in his mental processing ! Talking him through it is like explaining electricity
to my cat. And just as productive. So now he whines because he doesn't
get invited along with the gang and can't understand why. Yeah ....

Twenty bucks seems a bit high for the juice hookup, but this seems like a
good time for a "load check" to make sure we're not being THAT GUY, because
THAT GUY is a repulsive buffoon, and we don't want to be THAT GUY. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Looks like we may have to pitch in for snow removal. This extended winter worries me more than electric,gasoline, retail buyers and other negatives. Only happens once a year. Hope to see you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:15 am:

I wasn't going to enter this discussion but I must now add my two cents.

If this event is well attended then the electric usage is much greater then just one or two fellows plugging in a cell phone or computer. How many are using the electric hundreds? Well then outlets are now needed to be installed, wiring run, panel boxes added etc. So what about the people who now must collect the fees, paperwork and receipts must be generated, funds accounted for and bills paid to the power company. There is a lot more expense in tracking who paid and who didn't then just the cost of electric. I'm sure the $20 includes that. If you don't think a charger uses much electric then just plug a hundred in and see if your electric bill goes up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Mack Cole has mentioned that tractor shows are raising their prices as well. At Western Illinois Threshers, we charge $5 a day for a 20 amp camper hookup, and $10 a day for a 30 amp. It's also important to point out that our show is held the first weekend in August, and many campers are running air conditioners the whole weekend.

However, when most if not all campers that show up are buying electricity, it evens out. If every vendor at the swap meet bought electricity, they could probably charge $5 too. I'm sure they chose $20 because they know not everybody needs electricity in their booth. It's simple economics.

Nobody's looking to get rich on you guys, but they still have to make it worth their while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 11:33 am:

well i think $ 60.00 for 2& 1/2 days to run my coffee pot & johns breathing machine.!! should make them a little cash charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Dennis, all the infrastructure is there. Wiring, outlets, panels, etc., have been there for several years. The only cost at this point is actual power usage. That said, I'm not going to get all worked up over it. I just won't plug in. It's not a major tragedy. I'm with Warren. I'm a lot more interested in whether we'll be freezing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Let's just go and be happy.....I'm there for the fellowship. Can't wait....Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

I heard that at the Portland Roadster show if electricity was required for your booth or display You are required to hire a union electrical contractor to hook up your booth to an extension cord at a charge of $100.00. $20 bucks seems fair, I'm thinking that it is nice they've given you the option to not use electricity thus not having to pay $20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Take a small camp stove for the coffee pot. Use a deep cycle battery with a 300 watt inverter to power the CPAP. I do this when I go camping in my tent trailer. I do not plug in the humidifier, I just put warm water from the stove and call it good. For heat while you are there, get a Big Buddy heater or a catalytic type. Do what you would do when you dry camp. use a clip on cig plug on the battery to charge the phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Thankfully, the fairgrounds furnish probably half a hundred comm'l heaters in the south building where most sleep. So, if it's sleeting sideways outside, it's nice and toasty inside. I'm looking forward to the dates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

BYOC--Bring Your Own Cord: If none of them is using an arc welder, maybe several adjoining vendors could all plug into one space's outlets and divvy up the fee. That would put Model T'ers' inventiveness, ingenuity, and--ahem--thrift--on display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Im not going to worry about it. I have three spaces inside the south building. I share the spaces with 2 friends of mine. We run a microwave and three electric blankets. We all have nice comfortable air mattress. There are showers that we have figured out when to use to beat the crowds. I like being on the spaces at the swap meet from day one, till we leave. Its short enough as it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

r.v. good luck with that i think they will count cords!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Jesteadt on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Going to Chickasha once was enough for me.
I'm looking forward to the first Mid-Atlantic Prewar Swap Meet in Luray, VA. I'm glad to see someone from the East finally putting something together. Unlike Chickasha it seems to me its more about the hobby than making money. Hopefully others feel the same and will support Dennis, so this becomes successful and an annual event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I hope the one in VA works out, so east coast folks will have a convenient option to find Model T & A parts. There are some meets on the west coast, the one in Chickasha, and now the ones in Richmond and in VA. I hope they all are successful and thrive for many years to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Mike, they've already got Hershey out East; what more do they need?

As for me and the power cord debate, I'm proud to be a non-electric T owner. :-) Stop by and see me at space FH06. It's just outside the SW corner of the North Building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Eric, I didn't know you were going. When will you be in?
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Rob,
I'll be there on Wednesday. Hopefully, early in the afternoon. I'm bringing my boy with me for a history and geography lesson that he can't learn in school. We're bringing rebuilt coils, some sheet metal parts and a couple of sets of wheels as well as boxes and boxes of misc. T parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 01:01 am:

I wonder how many Sellers have signed up for Luray Va? I have 2 spots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Fleming on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Fred we have 30 spaces reserved so far. Looking forward to many more. Thanks for registering.
Dennis Fleming
Mid Atlantic Pre War Swap Meet
Luray, VA

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration