Dip Stick

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dip Stick
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:14 am:

So I'm watching "Car Chasers" on a Sunday afternoon here in Australia. It's an American "reality" show where a sharp character finds old classics, usually out of the 60's and 70's and 80's,screws the poor beggar selling it down to a minimum price and sells it on at a profit which they brag about at the end of the show.On today's show one pick up was a 1925 TT truck. They get it back to the shop and decide to see what condition the oil is in. To do this they reach into the engine bay and come up with a dip stick coated in black gunk.Am I missing something here, or do T's in the USA have a different oil level checking system?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 05:27 am:

There are aftermarket add on dipsticks. But no, they came from the factory with pet cocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 05:32 am:

I'm sure there would have been several after market dip sticks to be bought, this was one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Similar to that one is the Akuret Oil Gauge which was revived by Ben Hardeman of Texas T Parts. I have one on my car, and it works great.

http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTP&Product_C ode=T3069-Ak&Category_Code=2b

The upper end of this unit extends through the splash shield, so you need to cut a hole for it. If you have an original '09, you probably won't want to do that. But most of us have splash shields which are repro's or beat-up original ones, so punching a hole in it is not a big deal.

The rights to TX T Parts products have been sold to Birdhaven Vintage Auto Supply in Colfax, IA. They now supply this accessory. 515-674-3949 or 866-302-3673

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:30 am:

I put a dipstick on one of our Ts, using a modified dipstick and tube from a mid '80's Ford 1/2 ton. The top end of it resides near the choke rod under the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:41 am:

I got tired of getting on the ground on cold day's to check the oil. I didn't like the idea of a sight gauge (glass breaks) Steve Jelf has a good idea but you still have to open the pet-cock under the car.This is what I came up with while it is not for your 1000 point Hershey car but for a driver it works for me. I made this one then I thought of a couple of mods to make it better but that will wait until my next oil change.

turn on the gas

and check the oil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Robert Cardner (RIP) if I remember correctly came up with the idea of the dip stick under the hood. I took the liberty to duplicate them for my cars with off the shelf fittings and stick. Not original, but saves my old knees from getting on the ground.Similar to what GR shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Oh heck, when I read the title of this thread I thought someone was looking for me! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Dennis S, And I thought it was me they were looking for!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration