Daytona 500 today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Daytona 500 today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:53 am:

Your friendly webmaster is there, watch for me, we are in turn 4 row 28. Me and 150,000 of my closest friends!

Jeff Gordon on the pole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:59 am:

NHRA drag racing today at Phoenix. I like the instant gratification. Green light comes on, four seconds later you have a winner and a loser. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:16 am:

I forgot about this. Thanks for making my day Chris. Now I have something to do. I gotta go in person one day. I'll watch for you in the stands. Enjoy the race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Wave so we will know it's you!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

So your not over at the hospital with your man Busch?

Have fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

green white checker! here we go!!

Ken in Texas

My 88 car didn't make it...Logano

(Message edited by drkbp on February 22, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

Great race and won by a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Three wide, 8 rows bunched, at 200mph, for more laps than I would ever have believed possible! Took a bit for a "green, white, checker finish, but an unbelievable demonstration of how professional those NASCAR teams and drivers have become!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

That 3 wide racing was unbelievable, I thought they were going to finish that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

I thought so too. I was waiting for the "big one" with about 10 to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

That "racing" is so simple, even a woman could do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Too bad she used 4 cars during the week! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Denny Hamlin surely didn't help Danica any !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Nhra for me as well not realy racing if all the cars ar the same
Ie ford dodge chevy and toyota have to be same profile weight and restrictor
Sash car i mean nascar gone off my radar when petty retired
Sorry i ranted i still go if i had a ticket just cant watch it on tv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:29 am:

NASCAR is not what it used to be. It is starting to resemble politically correct nonsense. It used to be that you qualified for post position by running the best lap time. Now you need to form "bonds" with folks that do not want you to win and somehow run with them in silly little groups in order to qualify. I call bull crap! I watched the race out of the corner of my eye while working on my HO train setup. I used to watch the race from start to finish every weekend. I doubt that I will pay much attention to it this year. That is good as I will have more time to drive a T on Sundays!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 06:03 am:

Can't be too PC. They're the only sport that still starts every event with a prayer. And televises it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 07:23 am:

It'd be a lot cooler if they'd go back to racing actual stock cars. Be pretty sweet to see Ford Mustang GTs square off against similar Camaros and Challengers. I don't know what Toyota would put in the race. It'd be hard to get started but I guarantee you a massive percentage of NASCAR fans would flock to watch real stock cars race. Especially with the comically escalating ticket prices of NASCAR races.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:12 am:

They have a general outline of who they want to win, its not real racing. I don't even bother watching it anymore. Funny thing is my wife likes watching it, even though she knows they control the general outcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:30 am:

I wish they would pay for laps led like the Indy 500! I think that alone might make it a real race again?? Bud.PS/BS,I also think the new group qualfing makes them look dumb?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Chris,
Henry Ford was there too, one hundred years ago. In late January 1905 he took his Ford six racer to Daytona/Ormond:

Following warm up trials, Barney Oldfield and Alexander Winton had the following to say about the Ford:

Unfortunately a broken crankshaft put an early end to the meet for Henry Ford.

Sounds like the Ford had better luck 100 years later......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:01 am:

2 miles to the minute! Check my math but that'd be 120 miles per hour. LOL I cannot even begin to imagine going that fast in that thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Dan - If your theory was really true, wouldn't it have made cents for Jeff Gordon to win?

How can you explain a relatively non-main stream driver winning?

People should not confuse racing team strategy with the thought that the outcome can be controlled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Dan B- My theory is based on a few things. The number one is from a friend that was closely involved with the sponsorship of a NASCAR team. As in a lot of things money talks. It's all about money. Over the years GM has paid the most. If you look at the changes in rules through the years, you can see how the rules have changed in a lot of cases to favor a certain manufacturer. As to your Gordon comment, I did expect him to win. I'm sure he was allowed extra horsepower, he did lead the most laps. They can't one hundred percent control the outcome because of mechanical failure, wrecks, or driver error. Probably the most unbelievable upset of the current NASCAR system was when Trevor Bayne won for the Wood Bros. That was a modern day miracle.Certainly not the outcome that NASCAR would have wanted. So they can't control the outcome hundred percent of the time, but are able to for the majority of the time. I am sure that Gordon will have a great year. If NASCAR can pull it off he will get the championship. It will be excellent PR for them.Of course this is all my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Turn 4, standing at the fence, one of my mental happy places. Last there for Jan 2012 Cup testing and Fan Fest (RIP). Envious of you Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Jeff Gordon did lead a lot of laps, but he also started in the pole position and lead only in the first half of the race.

So, the assertion that NASCAR can control all of the variables affecting who wins and who doesn't win is a fun theory, but it isn't plausible.

I'm not even really a NASCAR fan, but I do have a different point of view on this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

As Steve Jelf has posted before "The problem with conspiracy theories is that they would require a widespread outbreak of competence." or something to that effect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Some pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Those pictures are SWEET Chris! It was pretty wild to me how Logano was able to get out in front of the pack and just stay there towards the end. I don't know enough about the physics involved but it seemed like those guys running three wide in the front were holding each other back, Logano was the only one who could sneak on by that barrier. It wasn't nearly as strong or noticeable with only 2 rows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Chris, Awesome pics, especially the last one. Thanks for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Dan B- If you reread my post, I stated that they can't control the outcome one hundred percent because of mechanical failure, wrecks, or driver error. Though I'm sure they would love to be able to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Yea, but the basic premise is the same, so we'll just have to agree to disagree in this instance.

One thing I hope we can all agree on is how amazing it is that they're able to keep their cool and maintain focus, especially in situations like those pictures that Chris took. Amazing. Technology has come a long way too. Hard to believe some of the accidents that they walk away from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Unless you're the lead dog, the view is always the same.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration