Fan belt tracking

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fan belt tracking
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:31 am:

My fan belt will not stay where it belongs keeps tracking off of the crank pulley towards the engine. I have a water pump on the engine. Tried loosening the tension and tightening it still no change. The engine is a 1915. Any suggestions appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Does your fan hub still have a good crown on it? KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Flat belts will 'creep' towards the high side. That's why the fan hub is crowned in the middle.

So, if it's tracking toward the engine, it could be that the crank pulley is loose on the shaft, or that either the fan or water pump pulley is not parallel. Keep fiddling until you find the problem - and try turning the belt around in case it's stretched on one side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:08 am:

The belt doesn't look to good so I am going to order another one. I just noticed they sell a bracket that attaches to the block that keeps the belt from traveling around. Has anyone used this bracket? Looks like a good addition. Also noticed a crankshaft pulley with ridges on both edges so it can't move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Before you start sending for parts use a straight edge to see if your in alignment.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Richard ; some time you need to bend the fan bracket #3967 to bring the fan pulley in the right direction . A fan need to run without a bracket and without ridges on the pulley .
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Richard....I run pumps and here is what I found.....especially with the Texas Water pumps. Some, and plenty of them, do not have the mounting holes drilled so as to keep the drill shaft parallel to the crank and fan pulleys. In fact I had to send one back as it was so grossly misaligned. If the pump is out of alignment, the fan belt will not track. What I've had to do is to oversize the mounting holes so as to "wiggle" the pump shaft up or down to get the belt to track. Have not had this experience with the Berg pumps or some of the old pumps used back when...Not saying this is your problem or a solution, but something you may wish to consider. JERRY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:23 am:

What I've done thru the years is wrap one or two layers of 1 1/2" masking tape around the pulley then on top of that, one or two layers of 1", then 3/4", and 1/2", if I have it. This has always work for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Richard, I am amazed no-one has advised ditching the water pump!!!

That said. if you need it, there is something wrong with your cooling system. To check if the pump is the problem, you could run the appropriate standard fan belt and see if that runs off.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

I would get rid of the water pump. It's one of the best things you could do for your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:47 am:

Try turning the bel the other was
If you have a pump make surethe shaft it straight to the motor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:45 am:

I have two '13s, and I've had to put a washer between the fan bracket an the engine on both of them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration