Waverly Iowa-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Waverly Iowa-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Another nice street scene. The Ford would be a '13 and the Buick behind it an '08, '09 or '10 2cyl Model F.

Great find Herb.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

The National Bank built a new building after 1913. The Model T and Buick were sitting on the corner at lower left. This is Bremer street looking east today.

Except for the new bank building, most of the buildings along the street are still there.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:51 am:

What was the semaphore signal for ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 09:20 am:

Burger,

It is a standard rail semaphore "clear ahead" signal and the bottom green light is on. The electric rigging indicates streetcars and tells the east bound direction had the right of way at the time the photograph was taken. There is only a single rail line in the center of the street.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 09:44 am:

I am only familiar with them as RR signals, and a streetcar line seems highly
unusual, but that was my best guess too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 09:52 am:

Do we build the buildings and sidewalks closer over the years? A lot of these old pictures the roads look really wide to me - especially when someone is able to find a googlemaps picture in almost the exact same location as the original picture. I can see how maybe this one is just the result of the camera angles being different, but it does seem like in a lot of pictures the roads are getting narrower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Our town of St. Peters, MO. recently did an improvement of the old Main Street area. The overhead wires were removed and new sidewalks were installed. Along with this much needed drainage improvements were made. It is a better place.
One thing that happened that I don't quite understand was that at each intersection along Main Street there was a bump out made created that removed about two parking spaces on each side of the intersection. Also the street was made narrower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Burger,

That was a guess by me as well. They seem to have liked that intersection. It is East Bremer at 1st Street NE.

That thing in the middle of the first picture is a large street light in the middle of that intersection.

That Old Buick may still be in this picture. It's too small to tell anything but I thought I would put it up. It must be a little later than Jay's picture as there is a lot more telephone lines (I assume) on the poles.

The druggist still had his awning loose on this side and the entry to the basement is still there today. Neat pictures Jay.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Herb,

Be careful not to confuse "improvements" with "changes" being made. I would take
the 1920 version of this street scene any day over the current Google version. The
street had character ! Now, it is just a sterilized, boring street that looks like any other,
be it in California or New Jersey.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration