Band adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Band adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

some thing is out of adjustment as far as I can tell as soon as I release the hand brake the car is in forward can I back off the forward band to relive the pressure and how far is too far will it come apart this is my first attempt to drive a model t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

Harold,

Yes, try backing off the low band adjustment. This is done by loosening the locking nut on the adjuster, located on the right side of the transmission housing. With the lock nut loose, turn the adjuster counterclockwise one turn, tighten the lock nut and test it out. Basically, you want the low pedal to be about 1" from hitting the floor board while pushing down firmly. If this doesn't help, come back here and we'll try something else to help you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

There are two things that can cause the forward drag - the clutch and the low band. If it's going forward when releasing the handbrake, then I suppose it's the high speed clutch that wants to drive the car forward.

It's not sure there is anything wrong - we must establish exactly what's happening.. :-)

Can the engine run free in neutral when the hand brake is pulled?

With the engine stopped, if you release the handbrake, can you see the low pedal move up from a mid position?

Your handbrake should be adjusted to grab first after the low pedal gets pushed down halfway to neutral. With the handbrake straight up and the low pedal halfway down, the car should be able to be pushed around (ok, with a certain drag) without the engine turning.

When starting the car in neutral and the handbrake straight up, you should be able to try driving in low by pushing the low pedal down. Try learning on a big empty parking space. When you let the pedal up, the car should stop with the brake pedal.

After learning to drive in low and when your natural tendency (from driving stick shift cars) to push down to get neutral has been weakened, then it's time to release the brake handle all the way forward and let the pedal go all the way up to get high speed.

Experienced T drivers push the lever forward from start and get the feeling in the foot where to hold the pedal for neutral for short stops.

If something is out of adjustment, this picture may help:

chart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

Your low pedal (left most pedal) should fully clamp the low band with the pedal about 1 to 1.5 inches above the floorboard. If the pedal is higher than 1.5 inches, back off the low pedal adjustment until full foot pressure on the low pedal puts it in the 1 to 1.5 inch range above the floorbard.

Then, follow the procedure below to check for proper operation of the low pedal link to the high speed clutch lever:

free_neutral

After you have the linkage adjusted properly per the diagram, you might want to adjust the length of your emergency brake rods to ensure that the brakes don't drag when you're in high gear. The Ford procedure is on page 25 (paragraph 75) of the service manual.

I use a slightly different procedure on my car - I wanted to make sure that the brakes were fully released with the brake lever in high (fully forward), plus I didn't want the brake rods to prevent the lever from moving fully forward.

So, with the brake rods disconnected from the brake lever cross shaft, I set the brake lever fully forward and stuck a piece of wood in the slot to ensure it stayed that way. Then, I adjusted my brake rods so that the front pin slipped in easily through the front brake rod clevises and the brake lever cross shaft with the rear brake levers in their fully relaxed position (brake cam horizontal). Note that the rear levers should point towards the back of the car when the brake cams are fully relaxed.

After everything was back together, I checked the operation of the emergency brake to make sure that the rear wheels would lock up with the brake lever pulled back beyond neutral.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Reading Harold's question, it sounds like nothing needs adjusting, but a lesson in driving the T, releasing the hand brake is putting him in top gear, so Harold, are you letting it forward all the way when you are stationary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Harold, with the hand brake in the vertical position is the car still in neutral? If it is in neutral hold the slow speed pedal in with your foot. The hand brake works in conjunction with the slow speed pedal.

When you have released the hand brake and it is in the forward position slowly speed the engine up and push in the slow speed pedal. The car will begin to go forward. You'll pick up the technique after a little practice. On level ground at about 5-8 mph let the pedal up in to high gear.

Hope this helps. Hopefully its just getting use to using the pedals and the spark and gas levers and nothing else.

Others will help you on the forum also. Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Hmmm, you might be right, Frank.

Harold, when the brake lever is pulled fully back, the car is in neutral and the parking (emergency) brakes are engaged.

When the brake lever is somewhat forward (maybe a couple of inches) from its full back position, the car should still be in neutral, but the parking (emergency) brakes will be released.

When the brake lever is fully forward, the car comes out of neutral and the high speed clutch is engaged.

On level ground, with the floor boards out and the car shut off, move the brake lever from full aft slowly to full forward and back a few times, and watch the clutch lever bolt ride off and onto the cam. You will get a feel for where "neutral" is on your car, it occurs when the emergency brakes are released, but the clutch bolt is still up on the cam.

You will notice that the low pedal has a link that also moves the high clutch lever, if the brake lever is fully forward you can put the car in neutral by pushing the low pedal partway (not fully) towards the floorboard.

Do a google search on "model t driving instructions", there are some good videos online.

Good luck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

Several of the above posts have answered what I think is the question. I will try to simplify things.

There are 3 positions of the parking brake lever. All the way back the brake is locked.

Part way forward, usually when the lever is almost straight up, the car is in neutral.

All the way forward, the brake is off and the car is in gear. Either high or low depending on the position of the foot pedal

The are also 3 positions of the left foot pedal.

All the way back is high gear, part way down is neutral, and all the way forward is low gear.

The only position in common between the hand lever and the foot pedal is half way down neutral.

When you have the engine started and the parking lever is all the way back, the gears are in neutral and the brake is on. To start the car moving in reverse, move the parking lever to the neutral position, which is part way forward. Then take your left foot and press down hard on the reverse pedal. Control the speed with the throttle lever. Usually you need just above idle to back up unless you are backing uphill. The right foot will be free to apply the foot brake at any time.

To start the car moving forward, also put the parking lever to the neutral position, and take your left foot and press the left pedal all the way down and also control your speed by using the throttle. To shift into high first push the parking lever all the way forward while you are still moving in low gear. Then at the same time let the left pedal all the way out and push the throttle all the way up. That will put you in high gear and you can control your speed with the throttle. When you get more familiar with the T, you can learn where the neutral is by using the left pedal and then you can push the parking lever all the way forward while holding the left pedal in neutral. The shifting will then be as I posted above.

I know this seems complicated, but is really quite easy once you get the hang of things.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration