Estate Sales - Some Times You Get Lucky

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Estate Sales - Some Times You Get Lucky
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Went to an estate sale and it turned out the gent who passed on was a member of the local Horseless Carriage club back in the 1960/70's.

I was able to buy the box of nine speedo swivels for $20, the starter and generator for $10 each with a receipt from them being rebuilt 40 years ago. And the spring loaded grease cups that click a half turn at a time for $5. I got there on the second day of the sale and was surprised no one snapped these things up the day before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

Must have been a crowd that didn't know the merchandise. I love it when that happens. You got some great deals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Cool grease cups, Jay ! Iron, brass or both ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Great score Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

The deals are out there! You were at the right place at the right time. If you happened not to go the 2nd day items like that could have went to the junk yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

The grease cups are brass and few are nickel plated.The stop nuts for the spring are steel. You push the thumb tab down to rotate the cap and count two clicks for one full rotation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

I would not have known what the speedo swivels were and would have walked past them. Thanks for the photo! Still a lot to be learned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Imagine all the stuff we ignorantly walk past or send to the dump that is
"solid gold" to that guy who knows what it is. Nobody can know everything
about everything. It makes me cringe to think of all the great stuff that has
"gone away" simply because people didn't know what it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

We picked this turn of the century spool turned platform rocker up at the same estate sale for $10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Well Geez Jay! I've got to start checking out more sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Mike : My Son was somewherer here in town at some kind of a clean up of a house. In the Garbage can was a pair of 1919 California license plate- pristine, and in fact better than the ones I have on my 1919 T. So you never want to pas up yard sale of an estate sale as you can never tell what is there lurking in those boxes bags & etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

WOW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

A pristine original car showed up at a junk yard because the inheritor thought it was only worth crushing. Later that day someone had the foresight to take it home. Open market value of $5,000 or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

I usually stop at one or two yard sales each summer. I'm able to find tools made in China, recipe books from various churches that all have varying recipes of several different hot dishes made from tater tots, hamburger and cream of mushroom soup or noodles and tuna fish. I can usually find a blender or two with the plastic top split nearly in half or special incontinence products. Everything is $0.25 or $1.50. I'll admit I've found some Tonka, Structo, Marx and Wyandotte toys but those sales are usually run by some beer guzzling goof with a white t-shirt that shows about half of his huge hairy belly and the idea that a $20.00 Tonka truck is very rare (only 1 million made) and worth $250.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Mike,
Even though you're in Iowa and I'm in California, it seems we've been to the same yard sales. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Make the MN!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Whew, Henry. Okay, I guess I better go do my profile! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

I dunno Mike. I could change mine to say "South of Oregon" or "North of Mexico" and others could do likewise. It would force a little mental exercise! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Jay great finds!
But, I'd hate to have to tune your player piano--too much stuff on top of it (Like I should talk, mine is buried in piano rolls and sheet music! But then I seldom tune my own pianos!!).
:-)
Looks like about a 1919?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration