Someone Should Reproduce This Under The Hood Oil Can Holder

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Someone Should Reproduce This Under The Hood Oil Can Holder
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

Here's what I think is one of the best ever oil can holders for the engine compartment. These make more sense mounting under the hood since fire wall Real Estate is tight on a T. Someone should be making these for the antique auto market. Since it's head bolt mounted it would fit LOTS of different antique cars. I am sure they would sell well. I get lots of comments at shows for the one I have when I show the car with the hood off.
Does anyone else besides me have one of these??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

I have one like that also, Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Steve I think these were reproduced in the 1960/70's. Does anyone know if I am right about that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

I had one on a 1925 Franklin I had. They had it mounted on the hood shelf area. I let it go with the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:37 am:

I had one like that made of brass. I had it on my car which I drove to the Centennial in '08. About midway there, I found it missing from the head bolt location but luckily lodged between the engine and frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 04:38 am:

Actually a guy did a few years ago and I bought 3 of them. They're a reasonable quality repop. I'll try to remember to post a pic tomorrow. only problem I have with them is I keep forgetting to install them when I have the head off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 06:01 am:

So the brass oil can holder broke, Mike?
Or did it just slip out from under the head bolt? (not properly torqued?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 06:22 am:

Don Shanabrook of Tiffin re pop them a few years ago I do not know if he has any left but I think he contacted lang's on the dies after he was done with them. Don also made the 09 hose clamps that lang's has now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:33 am:

all the WW2 dodges and jeeps had them, i'm sure they are reproduced for that market. they are slightly different as they mount on the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:37 am:

I have an old fashioned original around here somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:34 am:

I think I'd back it up with at least one flat washer between the bolt head & the holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Joe, Many thanks for the info. I was hoping the dies survived from the most recent run of these. Could you PM me with contact info. so I could speak to Don Shanabrook, Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Jay, the one in your photo is a repro I made about 10 years ago. Unfortunately I sold them all. I might still have all the dies and fixtures. I'll have to look....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Hmmm...how hot does it get?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

Darren; yours looks better than the one Dan made. Nothing against his, I have the ones he made, but I prefer yours. If someone does take this on I think your would be the better one to make.

(Message edited by Modeltbarn on February 23, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

I think these would be a hot seller for ALL Old Car guy's regardless of year make or model you drive. Hopefully Darren can find the fixtures for these.

Like I said I get all different kind of positive comments on the one I have on our 15 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Jay, Don's number is 419-447-5254 Tiffin Ohio, I do not know if he still has them or not but I think he had them lasered out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Roger K. -- I was waiting to answer your question in order to add a picture with the post, but I left my camera at the shop. What happened is the edges of the brass which were underneath the bolt head broke away from the holder. In hindsight, adding a washer between the holder and the bolt head probably would have been a good idea. I'll try to remember to bring the camera home tomorrow and post a pic of it.

p.s. -- You've got a lot of nerve asking me whether my head bolts were torqued properly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

I've got one, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Roger -- I finally remembered to bring my camera home. Here's a pic of the broken oil can holder.

och

It looks to me like it's the same one as Jay's pics above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

p.s. -- It's made of brass, not steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Maybe the weight of the oil can in combination with the engine vibrations is more than what a oil can holder made out of brass can take? Steel seems to be a safer material choice.

Most head bolts I've seen hasn't got all that many threads into the block, so adding a too thick washer in combination with the thickness of the can holder might risk a thread failure when torquing? I would like a head bolt sized hole in the can holder instead of a slot, then it could be used without an extra washer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration