Any one know about Prefex replacement radiators

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Any one know about Prefex replacement radiators
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Seen a few just wondering if they were anygood
I know they are old after market replacements anyone using one today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Bob,

If it's a honeycomb style core they are usually plugged up and don't cool well. That has been my experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

I know Great-Grandpa put one on the '14 sometime at least half a century before I was born. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Guy weighed it at 65 lbs so it sounds heavy for the price
Anyidea what a clear radiator should weigh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

My bad its more like 35lbs my conversion between kg and pound was not correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 12:11 am:

i agree with Derek, and also most radiator shops will lock the door, and put up the out to lunch sign up if it leaks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Bob, If you can get it cheap it might be worth a try. I won't give more than 25 or 30 bucks for an old radiator as I look at it as probably needing a re core. I keep a drum of muriatic acid and water mix to clean the old radiator. With a honeycomb all you can do is soak and flush and hope for the best. A honeycomb core is up to six times more efficient if it is clean. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Got a cheap honeycomb at Hershey, and had the shop clean it up, ($50) he said it should be ok, but won't know til I try it out.

Weight is 24lb, its a low radiator.

This other low radiator, Ford, got it from a forum member for only shipping. Had it cleaned and checked at the shop. Been running it for 2 years now, and all well until Sunday!

Ran the T around and just as was going in the garage, the wife says, "radiator is leaking". I reply, "yea I just topped it off, so that's just overspill"

NOT... :-( Wife was right, dang big leak! Had to wash the garage floor, and now taking off the free radiator for another trip to the shop!

Here's the spot that sprayed a pretty tight stream over the core :-(

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration