A register for Model T Fords

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A register for Model T Fords
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:15 am:

A register for Model T Fords

Fifteen Million or so Model T Fords were produced. The guesstimated survival rate may be 300,000 world wide. Has any one through clubs, or associations ever compiled a geographic register identifying motor VIN and current location with owner optional?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:38 am:

R U volunteering?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:56 am:

George ; Olivier Chabanne can help you. He made a list of model T's . You can find him onder :
<olivier@ford-t.fr>
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:08 am:

You would be hard pressed to find them all. I have a couple extra blocks in my garage, and the 3 cars I drive all have Model T engines, but none are the original engine. Other blocks have been melted for scrap and some are boat anchors. Most people with Model T's today, don't know whether the engines, bodies or other parts are as they came from the factory. And some such as I know that they are a pile of parts which were gathered and re-assembled to be as close as possible to an original car. Other cars are in barns or out in a field and will be discovered at a later time, and others are owned by non club members.

So, if you want to take on a nearly impossible task, go ahead! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:37 am:

A head count from the MTFCA & MTFCI (if they have one) would be a good start but no where near a reasonably accurate count.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:37 am:

In previous discussions of this, some have suggested compiling data from state/province/national motor vehicle registrations, insurance company records, and similar sources. It would be a huge task, and would miss a lot of T's. Obviously MTFCA, MTFCI, and other club lists would be inadequate because there are so many T's in the hands of non-members. In my own county (population about 30,000) I know of at least a dozen Model T's and TT's, and I'm sure there are others I don't know about. I don't know how many there are that don't appear on any list, but an extra 25% or more wouldn't surprise me. A great many T's are complete but remain unseen because they're not running or because the owners hardly ever drive them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:59 am:

In addition to the difficulty of locating them, there's also the aspect that the data collected would be significantly flawed. For example, I am sure my TT is a 1918 truck. However, it has a 1923 engine that was installed sometime prior to 1946 (long story how I know that). When I registered it for the first time in about 60 years I was able to satisfy the DMV of the fact that the engine is a 1923 model, so using the engine number as the VIN I registered it as a 1923, which I know it isn't.

Of course you'd also need to figure out a way to filter out all the "T-Bucket" big block V-8's that don't have a single actual T part in them but are registered as a "1923 Ford Model T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Henry is correct all 1923's are suspect I saw one with horseless carriage tags on it as he was trying to explain the the State Trooper that it was registered as a 1923.... The State Trooper wasn't buying that Henry Ford would put a Chebby engine and transmission in a model "T"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

As much as I would like to see such a registry, it is utterly impossible for the reasons mentioned above. I've seen these things attempted for special interest cars before and only a tiny percentage get registered. Most would never hear about it and many won't care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

No I don't want to volunteer or reinvent the wheel. I did forget the ford-t.fr site that has a listing of year and body type. Albeit being readily found and identified or even linked so it can be found and added too is difficult.

I was also thinking something similar to the following:

http://www.vintagebentleys.org/bentley-registry/by-reg-no.php

When I retire maybe then I would consider an ambitious register project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

"The State Trooper wasn't buying that Henry Ford would put a Chebby engine and transmission in a model "T"

I don't see why not as all '32 -'34 Fords came from the factory with 350 SBC engines. If you don't believe it, try to find one that doesn't have one in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Really, in a Model T, a 1918 cheby engine with a motor numbers between 2449180 and 2831426? Oh, with the two speeds forward one reverse transmission? Is that 350SBC mentioned really two 490s? Maybe even a factory 1918 Chevrolet D4. Who needs a proper Model T register?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

I keep the register for Model T's here in New Zealand and have done since the formation of our club. There are around 1000 numbers recorded [engine numbers]along with rego numbers, owners, history where known and a photo if supplied. The biggest hassle is getting co-operation from the members. However, I am often called upon for dates and history and general knowledge. I would doubt anybody would have the time to record all the numbers of Ford T's in the USA. It is relatively easy here because we are a small country. Predominantly Canadian numbers which adds to the interest and of course RHD down here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 12:16 am:

I'm a member of the Model T Section here in Western Australia. I'm currently compiling a list of all T's in our state. I have them catalogued as Cars, Trucks and Speedsters
Also have photos of each one and a brief history documented if known. Believe the number should be around 100 when finished as they still keep being found. Haven't bothered too much with engine numbers yet but that could be done later. The main reason was the ability to have them on a data base so we can email all owners with items of interest, Technical Tips and club activities.
Alan in Western Australia where it is 41 Deg C Today.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:25 am:

The forecast says today will warm up to 41 here too, but that's 41 F. I wouldn't mind the 41 C for a day, as long as it doesn't become a habit. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Have you checked with the MTFCI and the roster they once had?? 41,Someday i think we will see 31 but? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

At one time on the net there was such a thing. I know for sure because I registered my '24. The database could be searched by year or body style. A few years ago I tried to find it but it had vanished. Someone out there probably still has all the data but who knows where it is.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration