Fordwood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fordwood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 12:18 am:

pricing out full body wood kits...has anyone used fordwood out of UT. or any other suggestions good or bad on suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:14 am:

P.J.,

Recommend you consider adding a little more detail to your question. I.e. for an open car or closed car. Also what year range are you talking about? The earlier open cars (and even some of the closed cars) had several different body makers and the wood usually needs more fitting [i.e. try it with your body panels and sand/cut to make it the proper size) because the body makers did things a little differently etc. [Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc15.htm where it says:
JUN 26, 1915 Factory Letter
"Hereafter when ordering body panels for 1915 cars, please give both the car and body numbers. The body number will be found on the right sill just inside the front door. This number will be preceded by a letter which indicates by whom the body was made.
"The above information is necessary as panels for bodies made by our various suppliers vary somewhat." ]

If you [or anyone else] would like a free copy of R.V. Anderson's article from the "Vintage Ford" about his rewooding a 1923 runabout (yes low cowl) please drop me an e-mail with "Send Model T Runabout Rewooding Article - or something similar" in the subject." If you click on my name you can send me a private message -- or just as easy -- my e-mail is the 3rd line down. The club allows us to make those available for free to promote our hobby, our club, and to help get a few more Model Ts back on the road.

I would also highly recommend you obtain a copy of Leon Parker's wood plans if they are available for the car you are rewooding. Even though you are not planning to cut your own wood, they have a lot of great information on how to fit the wood etc. He can be contacted through his forum profile at: http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=leon_parker-users

Finally from memory -- not that great -- in general I don't think most folks have had complaints about any of the wood kit suppliers. They all take quite a while to send you the kit especially if you are used to overnight ordering from Amazon.com etc. (I.e. in many cases they have to cut and make the kit and then send it). Most do not have as detailed set of instructions as someone who has never rewooded a T would like. That is why I highly recommended Leon's wood plans. NONE of the wood kits are just a drop in without needing "fitting" to your body with the possible exception of the 1926-27 USA open cars. Those 1926-27 open cars do not have any structural wood in them -- only wood to support the seat cushions and to tack the upholstery to etc. [Note Australian 1926-27 open car bodies still had lots of structural wood.]

Also, I notice you are relatively new to the forum. If you are also relatively new to Model Ts and the old car hobby, rewooding a body is not normally the first restoration tasks I would encourage someone to tackle. If you are already a wood worker etc. -- it might be a great place to start. But usually working on the chassis to get things safe to drive is an easier starting point for most folks. Rewooding the body isnít rocket science Ė but it is one of the more time consuming tasks because of the multiple refitting tries to get everything lined up nicely. If you are new to Ts and the old car hobby, I would recommend joining the local club and getting someone to look at your T and giving you some recommendations. For example if you have a closed car without any wood left in the body, then building a running chassis and fitting a speedster, or open pickup body to it would be much easier than rewooding the closed car body etc. And you can drive the car while you work on the body.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Contact Smith and Jones in your state. Gary Smith has a good supplier of Ford wood kits. I had problems with Fordwood, wrong pieces, poor diagram, long delay for replacement of wrong parts and poor communication. Also, lots of "fitting" required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 11:33 am:

I bought a kit from Fordwood years ago. Shipping was slow, a few parts were missing and the instructions were not real good. The wood seemed to fit OK and it all turned fine.
Here's a link to the project if you're interested.
http://home.comcast.net/~choffman41/modelt.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

I have built 2 T's using Fordwood kits. A 1919 Roadster and a 1921 Touring.

I used a partial kit (top kit) for my 24 Coupe. I bought it from Langs. Their kit supplier is in either North or South Carolina. Cant remember for sure.

Overall they fit pretty well. You have to remember that the wood kits wont just drop in.
You may or may not have to do a little fit up here and there.

Another thing to remember is that Ford used different body makers to build his cars and that can make a minor difference in how the sheet metal will fit.

The kits are designed to generally fit pretty well but because of the minor differences in body makers you may have to some fitting to do.

The best way is probably to use the original pieces to make a pattern but when you start from nothing but the sheet metal that's when you have to allow for some fit up.
Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

Thank you for all of the input. I am not expecting the kit to fall into place, I understand some fitting will be required. Just looking into a supplier as I am going to pull the trigger and order one this week. I have always had great experience with Snyders, I just cant get a clear shipping quote right now! Chuck thanks for the link I am also working on a '24 roadster the pics are great!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

PJ,
I've used "Classic Wood" in Greensboro, NC on several occasions over the years. I've never bought an entire car kit, but the selections I've bought have always been precise, timely, and reasonable. What I really like about them is that you can call and actually speak with someone who knows something!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Mike does the supplier in North Carolina now make wood kits for the low cowl cars (17-22)?

When I got the 21 Touring kit (low cowl) they weren't making kits for the low cowl cars.

I bought the kit for my 21 from Fordwood.

A good thing about Cubels is that they show online a pretty good picture of the wood kits they make.

The top wood kit which I'm pretty sure that came from North Carolina worked pretty well and was well made.

Having a set of plans also helps. I used plans from Mel Miller which I have since sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

RE; Classic Wood they have new owners and think they may have moved. The phone number should be the same.
Any wood kit will need fitting, they are not plug and play. None of the wood kits I have seen, Model T or A come with what I would call good instructions. Fordwood does have good illustrations on line that are a big help figuring out where the pieces go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Thanks Mike. I will let everyone know the outcome of whichever outfit I choose...still shopping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

PJ

I have heard good things about Classic Wood.
I would like to meet you when I go back to Douglas County.

Good Luck with your Grandpa's Roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks Kirk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

John, You'd have to call to see what they can do for you. What really sold me with them was when I was building my closed cab pickup several years ago. They made a special header for me and talked me through what I needed to do to make the rest of the top parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

I've also spent a lot of time looking at Fordwood's web site, and studying Mel Miller's plans that I bought for my 15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen Elkhorn NE. on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

I ordered a set from Classic Wood I will keep everyone posted with updates and pics as the project progresses!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration