Old Photo - State Street Looking North From Madison

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - State Street Looking North From Madison
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 11:14 am:

The number of pedestrians is astonishing! What city is this?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Chicago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

All the pedestrians appear to be headed North. Free beer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

This was from a time when people LIVED in cities not just commuted in and out of them everyday....

Great photo. And not a single person on their I Phone.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Old photos are so neat, especially when they speak so loud and clear. thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

The look today is so different. Maybe it's because we don't walk anymore. I know I don't.

State Street "Today"

As someone said in the last few days, so sterile looking. The character has gone but there is still a Ford on the same northwest corner.

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on February 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

That vehicle may have a Ford badge, but it's really just another plastic piece of
Tupperware with wheels. :-P

Sterile, sterile, sterile ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Norman made the comment that the number of pedestrians in the original photo is astonishing. My thought exactly. Amazing how busy downtowns were years ago.

A few years ago I was trying to figure out how to get around downtown Albany, NY with my 1924 Franklin on a trip to Syracuse. The highways around the city are hugely congested and traffic goes at 70 mph in spite of the 55 mph speed limit.

So I wondered what would it be like to simply drive right through downtown Albany. Almost past the state capitol, all the financial buildings, etc. I did this on a Friday morning. And there was hardly any traffic at all ! Couldn't believe it. Was the easiest way to get through a city I'd ever done.

I think it's because few people ever go downtown anymore. All the businesses are in the suburbs and outlying areas. And all traffic is on the bypasses. And all the pedestrians are gone, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

When I was a kid in San Jose, CA construction started on the then brand new and first shopping center in the Santa Clara Valley, Valley Fair. I distinctly remember the adults being highly critical of it. "Who the heck is going to go all the way out there to shop?" "They're crazy! Shopping and business are done downtown."

Well, it seems to have been the beginning of the end for downtown San Jose, and downtowns in general. Over the ensuing decades the word "downtown" is seldom heard without also hearing about blight, slums, the need for "redevelopment", and the like.

In my humble opinion, we have the Model T and all the early cars to thank for this development. Mobility provided choices in where we live, where we shop, we here we bank, and all manner of other things not previously available. The 2 photos in this thread are clear evidence of the changes that materialized in the second half of the 20th century.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration