Easter 1925, Conduit Street, Annapolis, Maryland

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Easter 1925, Conduit Street, Annapolis, Maryland
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Mighty spiffy fordor with accessory demountable wire wheels. Hey Seth are they like the one's you were looking for???

Model t fordor in Annapolis 1925

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Where is that Ford?

108 Conduit Street

Even the red brick sidewalk is still there. The duplex on the right will do his just like he wants. It's his half of the building!

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

The two tenants of the duplex must not be on speaking terms, they couldn't coordinate their home improvements! :-)

To my eye, the corner house looks better now than it did in 1925.

(Message edited by cudaman on February 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

New up grade on the house across the corner; air conditioners in the windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Was Seth looking for the wheels or the girls?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

I have spent about 5 minutes examining the two pictures. I don't think those are the same houses. The look quite similar, but in the top picture it doesn't appear to be a corner house.
The house in the middle has wood shingle siding and the chiminy is near the right side of the building. The second picture the chiminy is more toward the center and the trim over the windows is different. The house has clapboard siding. The house behind the car has different spacing on the porch posts. And the chiminy on the house at the left is gone.

It's possible that all 3 houses have undergone extreme remodeling, but ?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

No parking sign, the T has been towed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Norman, it looks like the side street was added later. The real proof is the two, small sets of steps at street level. A virtual time capsule there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Who made the demountable wire wheels. That is the first set I have seen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

hayes i believe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:08 am:

That sedan appears to be a late '25, with the accessory nickel shell made by Ford but the tire carrier appears to be a 1924 or earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

That sure looks like a fancy radiator cap with wings up front.

Is that a pigment of my imagination or something in the background?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

The radiator cap? I have been trying to figure that out since I first saw this picture. A couple things I find interesting. One, it appears to NOT have a moto-meter above it. It does appear to have some sort of ball, globe, figurehead, art-piece or? (Maybe Henry's bust?) Many such items were offered at the time.
Two, the wings (if that is what they are), appear to be the most commonly reproduced style (that usually do mount under a moto-meter) with the wings spread straight out to each side. They appear to have the exaggerated wing shape, and be a large size, more like for a larger car. I have seen large wings of this style, and ones that were clearly originals. But most wings of that style (larger or smaller) existing today have been reproduced for hobbyists since the 1950s. This style was actually somewhat unusual back in the day.

Whether the houses are the same two or not? I don't know. I have seen old homes renovated that much, so I would say it could be. On the other hand. Those were very common styles for the era, and finding two groups so much alike next to each other is quite likely.
I also like to see original era photos showing pre'26 Ts with wire wheels. I need to be reminded occasionally that it actually was done in the era.
Just a few of my observations.
Great photo! Thank you Larry B.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

For what it's worth, the location in the two photos above are the same.

In the 20's vintage photo, the house on the left is the corner house. The mounded front yard and the low camera angle hides the side street and the corner.

The steps are the same in both photos. The steps on the left are cast concrete, the steps on the right are brick.

The original shake shingle siding on the house on the corner has been replaced with narrow siding strips and fancy, ornate woodwork has been added to the porch. The second story windows are exactly the same. The decorative shutters are gone. The eve bracing is exactly the same in both photos. The wrap-around cast concrete stem wall at the sidewalk is also the same.

The next house on the right, which was a duplex in the first photo, is now two separate houses, apparently, at least on paper they are.

This duplex has been divided into two separate homes with two different owners. The owner of the house on the left of the former duplex has chosen to retain the original porch with all of the original trim that's shown in the early photo. The corner braces at the porch header are unchanged. The porch railing even appears to be the same. However, at some point, the duplex to the right has been sold to a different owner judging by the fact that the porch cover has been lopped-off right at the dividing line. The new owners have also decided to abandon the original front entrance by the lack of a means to reach the door, and the over-grown vegetation below the door. The window placement and roof pitch, including the water-line molding is also the same in both photos.

The building that sits across the side street is the same in both photos.

The siding is newer and wider than the siding in the early photo. The chimney is gone but, as Kevin noted above, there are now air conditioners in the windows. The window placements are the same except that the decorative shutters have also been removed from this building.

My money is on-same location in both photos.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration