General purpose oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: General purpose oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

I have been reading through a few years of the forum and haven't seen any thoughts on this: Being hew and just ready to service my car, what oil should I use in the oil can? Regular engine oil?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

I like to use bar and chain as it is sticky and stays in the spindles or tie rods and such better. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Like Keith said Bar chain oil doesn't drip out as fast

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Ditto on the chainsaw bar oil. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

You can tell that I was raised on the farm. I save the drained crankcase oil in tractors or whatever and use it in my oil cans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

Most chainsaw oils are pretty good for that kind of use, but if you can find it at a wood cutting shop, the stuff labelled "summer grade" is super sticky. The "winter grade" is too light, the all purpose stuff is OK but does not stay on parts moving or not like the summer grade chain and bar oil does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

I have mixed up some STP with 30W oil that seems to work pretty well if you wont the oil to stay in place.

STP has been around for years and being sticky and even mixed 1/2 by 1/2 or even heavier makes for a good clingy mixture.

When I was a kid in the 60's it was popular to use when building auto engines. Some would say it was better than lubri-plate. Don't know if it was any better but it worked for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

I have been using the 600w oil available from our T suppliers for about 30 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

600W or rear end lube. That is what I have on hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Since I have some bar oil I will use that but try the other oils and figure which I like best.

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

I use whatever is handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:17 am:

On my tie rods and kingpins, Once a month I take them apart and clean them and use Lucas Red n Tacky or there super heavy duty grease in the green tube. It only takes about an hour to do it so its not a big problem. I a mix of used oil and STP for the spring bushing. It makes a mess of the area around it but does a good job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

I'm not sure which is heavier, as bar and chain oil doesn't have a weight on it. At least not that I've seen. However, from a price perspective it makes more sense than the 600W oil from our parts suppliers. 600W costs 8.75 a quart from Lang's. I work for a farm store, where bar and chain oil is from $11 to $14 per gallon, depending on the brand.

Sounds like another interesting scientific experiment to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration