T Starter Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: T Starter Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

I always find the answers here. Time for another question. Trying to take the starter off of my 15 T. Took the bendix off and all four bolts from the starter mount she still won't budge. Are they that tight of fit in the housing? Tapped it pretty good but still no wiggle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Maybe somebody really gooped up the gasket with sealer the last time they installed it. With the Bendix off and the starter cable removed, those four bolts should be the last things holding it in.

For a more controlled force to pop it free, put a jack under the starter body and slowly jack it up, that should apply enough controlled force to break the sealer without harming the starter or your knuckles. Using a folded up rag as a cushion on the top of the jack would be a good idea. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Uh-oh. I hope you haven't wrecked your mag ring. This is why it's best to read the manual before you dive in. You have to remove the Bendix before you pull the starter.

I wrote that and then re-read the post. Silly me. Unfortunately the software won't let me delete this.
:-(

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on February 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

Thanks Mark I had given it a thought that someone had gooped it up good with something but didn't want to force anything till I found out for sure. The jack sounds like a good idea. On my way back to the garage and under the T to give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

Steve, read his post again, he said he did remove the Bendix first. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Steve you did not read my post. one of the first things I did was remove the bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

I think there's an echo in here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Got her out. It was just stuck as you mentioned Mark. Put a little force on it with the pry bar and it came loose. Thanks for the help Guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Hey Steve my wife is always telling me read the whole thing so we are all guilty of not doing so.
After I read your post I had to back and read mine to see if I actually put the part in about removing the bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Starter on a 15T should be your left arm!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

You can't type carefully and proof read your post or there will be three correct answers ahead of yours. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Frank, I was going to say that. :-)

Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration