How do you tell the difference between '23 and '24 Front Fenders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How do you tell the difference between '23 and '24 Front Fenders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

My 1915 roadster came with later fenders (17-25). I am upgrading the car with new 1915 style fenders. I would like to sell my existing fenders. I am not sure if the front fenders are the 17-23 style, or the 24-25 style. The parts venders give a different part number for 17-23 front fenders vs. 24-25 front fenders, so there must be a difference. However from the catalogue illustration, I cannot determine what the difference is. Can anyone help me out? I would like to be able to accurately list them for sale.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

24 fenders have a lip on the front, otherwise they are the same as 17-23 fenders. 25 fenders have a different beading pattern which I believe runs under the splash apron. The 25 rear fender I think is a touch wider than the earlier fenders. Maybe someone can post some pictures.

The 25 front fenders are sometimes called "commercial" fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

I thought I knew at one time but the other day while looking through fenders for my project I found one that has the same bead as the 24-5 and the off set on the out side ahead of the running board but has no lip to match the radiator apron. Now I am trying to decide weather to cut the lip off the one or add it to the other. Why do things get so confusing? Decisions, decisions! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Here's a pic of my '24 touring front fender.fender

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Steve, that's the way they are on my 24 tudor. Like that fender brace, wish you'd post more pics, might try and fabricate one. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Keith - do these help?

f1

f2

f3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

LOL, those Universal T-drivers sure do pick up the rocks, don't they? I'm constantly picking them out of mine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Yes that shows a lot, thanks. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

The fender on the left is a 25.
The fender on the right is 23-24.
Both have the "lip" or flange on the front edge of the skirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:38 am:

I was thinking when they went to the high radiator (Mid '23?), they put a little 'wing' on the front edge of the fender down where they meet the radiator that kinda blends to the new radiator apron. Sorry, I don't have pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:09 am:

Here's a pic that might help, it shows the "wing" on the front of the fender on the '24 to blend in with the radiator apron:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:17 am:

Here is the fender I have, no sign of ever having a lip. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:19 am:

The encyclopedia on this website has a lot of information about the differences between the fenders Ford used in the Black era (17-25).

Its pretty much all there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:40 am:

What Ken has posted is correct. Note that the '25 fender has built in washers for the running board holes. Only late '23s, which are '24 models with have the lip to blend into the splash apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:22 am:

What do I have then? that is the question. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Ken K, thanks for the pic.
I've been trying to figure out our touring car. I bought it as a '23 but I suspect that it's a '25. Will print that pic out and take it to the shop later to compare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Hi Keith,

The fender in your picture appears to be a '17-'23 front fender. I hope that this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

Bill, that's what I was looking for. As this commercial bodied project is going to be a 23 because of engine I will make the other fender look the same. I am going to assume this would be a low hood. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

So guys am I correct to assume that the Fender change (with the added front lip) and the new lower radiator apron, first started with the introduction of the High Radiators?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

Fred, I am lost in this matter and am deferring to older and wiser heads. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Yes.

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration