OT - Update on our "K" Runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Update on our "K" Runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

will your mother inlaw ride in the back? perhaps she's heard of the speed demons those ford 6 owners are

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:50 am:

Thanks for the progress report. I can't wait to see it all together.

The padded seats will be great for absorbing the "G" force.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:56 am:

I'm a bit surprised by the Plain Jane look. With all the fancy pleats and tufts we see on most seats of that era, it looks like Ford had a different idea for the K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Heres a K I think with tufted seats, maybe they came with both?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Clayton, doubtful.... :-)

Ed, your right, Ford offered both the traditional tufted and modern straight upholstery on the K Runabout. Ford also advertised that the K could be ordered in any color combination the purchaser desired.

A couple of K runabouts with straight leather seats:

A few other 1907 cars with the "modern" seat:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

I think the smooth seats are better because when you go to the burger joint drive thru window all those sesame seeds don't get caught in the diamond tufts and it's easier to wipe up all the pickle juice :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

A valid consideration Dennis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Man that American Roadster looks SLICK. The stance and straight fenders make it look like it's going 100 mph parked right there. That's a gorgeous car.

I really like the K roadster but in almost every picture the front fenders are angled up slightly. I think it'd make a big difference and make the car a bit more aggressive if they were brought down to be flat and parallel to the frame. Maybe even a little lower than that, almost the same angle at the sloped hood might be nice. That might be sacrilegious. I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

I think part of the difference between the American and Ford "look" are the angles the photos are taken from. When comparing other photos, the front fenders on the Ford don't appear as upswept and the American looks similar from the front:

Personally I like the 1909 American Underslung roadster more than the 1907 seen above. The 1909 has a longer wheelbase, and other than lower profile, looks similar to the Ford:

I think the fenders on this Ford K look more parallel to the ground and hood line:

A few other 1907 roadsters, compared with the K:

We will probably run our K like this the first year. It's easier to adjust and work on things without fenders. This is the Ford pilot car for the 1909 Ocean to Ocean (New York to Seattle) Race during the run from New York to St. Louis:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:44 am:

You're right Rob - a big part of it may just be the camera angle. That red American Roadster is just a really good picture of that car.

I like the fender-less look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Seth,
Your lucky day.....
Looks as though Bonhams has a 1908 American Underslung coming up for sale:

Bonhams is saying 1.1 million or higher.....

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22530/lot/152/?utm_source=bonhams&utm_medium=email&utm_content=link4&utm_campaign=STS_WWII_22530

Please bid responsibly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

I don't suppose they have two, so my wife can have one of her own - - -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Rob, I have enjoyed your posts...and have put a K on my bucket list. Someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

I would drive that car like I stole it. Hahahaha and stealing it is about the only way I'd ever get to drive it. $1.1 million - I can't really even wrap my brain around having enough money to spend that on an antique car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Gil,
Always a fly in the ointment. Buy one and sure enough, the wife will want one too.

Ed,
Five years ago I didn't have any idea I would like to own a K, then I rode in one......

You never know.

Seth,
When you buy the American, may I have a ride :-)
Always fun to dream. The projection of one million surprises me. I'll have to try to find a recent sale......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

That didn't take long. Wow!

A Model K beat an American Underslung in competition, for the 24 hour world record at Detroit in 1907 (but not now as far as price is concerned).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:34 am:

Notice where the Prest-O-Lite bottle is on the white American. Don't run over anything. Beautiful cars.

Rob - I missed the beginning I guess, are you going to build another chassis?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Ken,
We sold our K touring to a friend last fall, and bought a K runabout. This car has been in museums since the mid sixties, and needed a thorough going through.....

It looks as though American Underslungs command a hefty price now, more so than Model K. However, maybe not so much back in the day. These early 1908 ads appeared in a Chicago paper, and it looks as though the Ford is keeping pace with the American. Below that is a single late 1907 ad for an American, and the price is less than half the original cost:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration