Original WWI 1917 Model T Ford Ambulance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Original WWI 1917 Model T Ford Ambulance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

For you that are interested in WWI Model T Ambulances, there is a thread on the MTFCI from a man in Norway who has a 1917 Model T with a partial original body that appears to be the remains of a real ambulance body. Go to:

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/925-1917-Ambulance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

Very interesting body. Thanks for the link!

Also interesting is the fact that it has a 1926-27 engine/transmission assembly. Somebody has worked on it in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Yes, Looks like the engine and steering column have been replaced. It has accessory springs, front and back. I wonder if those were part of the original ambulance or if they were added later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Obviously, a lot has happened to that vehicle since it was originally built. However, given its geographic history, it is surprising that much of it would exist anymore at all.
I found the rear spring hangers quite interesting. I have heard and/or read of these as an after-market accessory. They were generally offered for use in light delivery trucks to raise the back up enough to not drag the rear so much when loaded. I believe that at least once I read that they were used on at least some WWI ambulances for the same reason. A couple wounded soldiers laying down so far to the rear really pulls down the back end of a chassis, even with an extra leaf or two in the rear spring.
Maybe one of our WWI experts will comment with better information.
The remains in question should be very well documented. I don't really know if it should really be fully restored or preserved as-is. I could argue either side of that question.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration