OT One picture. A thousand words.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT One picture. A thousand words.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

This is one of my favorite Rockwell's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

Much more than a thousand words!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

A hauntingly beautiful painting. Makes one wonder how we have let the commie maggots destroy our country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

I think "Progressive" is the term they prefer nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

Great picture Gary. On a side note, to interject a little bit of yankee humor and ingenuity, I read that when the Marines were leaving Guadalcanal (after the island was finally secure) and the Army replacements were moving in, there were a group of enterprising young Marines (I guess they were all young?) who were taking bed sheets and painting red circles on them and selling these "combat souvenirs" to the relief troops just as fast as they could make them! Ain't capitalism great!?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Is there a free country today—including former enemies—that doesn't, in one way or another, owe its freedom to the United States?
Yes, we ARE exceptional!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Joe,
If that's a true story I hope those "young Marines" made a bundle! They earned it!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

The picture above looks like there is a picture of the Marine on the wall, in the back ground?

Saying, Garageman a Hero!

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

good eye Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Good eye indeed. It makes perfect sense now with the Blue Star Mother flag pinned right below it. Great illustration of The Greatest Generation, thanks Gary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rion Schulze on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

I noted the blue star, could be a brother or something of the shop owner?

"A service flag approved by the Secretary of Defense may be displayed in a window of the place of residence of individuals who are members of the immediate family of an individual serving in the Armed Forces of the United States during any period of war or hostilities in which the Armed Forces of the United States are engaged."

I shared this print to my facebook page, ranks up there with my favorite "Reflections" Vietnam print.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Many a young man went off to war. Some never to return. None ever to come back as young as before. The book “ Norman Rockwell Illustrator” by Arthur L. Guptill on page 192 comments, “The setting is Bob Benedict’s garage in Arlington. The cop is Nip Noyes, our town clerk and editor of the paper. The marine is named Peters; he earned those ribbons the hard way.”

We owe so much to so many from the greatest generation. I am so thankful they stepped up and did what needed to be done.

God Bless the USA.

Gratefully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

One blue star should be enough for any family to endure, but remember this? 5 blue stars.

http://www.b-29s-over-korea.com/SullivanBrothers/FiveSullivanBrothers.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

The soldier they are talking to is the one that was on the e is home on leave oor just got out of the service.front page of the news paper that they cut out and put on the wall because they all knew him. He worked there!
H

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:01 am:

Actually they became Gold Stars, signifying that they had died in the service of their country. Giving us the term and organization "Gold Star Mothers". Bless all that have served.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:22 am:

As Rion says, a blue star service flag indicates a family member in service. It has one star for each family member in the military. A gold star represents a person who has died in service. I figure the young man is Joe, who worked in the garage with his dad (thus the service flag) and that's his shop coat hanging on the wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I think you're right on Jelf. That was my take when I first saw it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

We also need to recognize Rockwell's attention to details--this illustration has so many minute ones in it that are so very relevant to the time period--which is not only memories, and second-hand ones at that. My Dad was lucky; he landed on D-Day +4 at the battle of St. Lowe and was then assigned to a re-supply depot south of Paris. A German bomb was dropped on the camp, but it was a dud; I think there's a piece of it in the box he sent back when he came home (yes, amazingly we still have the box, mostly untouched--it brings up so many questions that we can't answer now; wish we'd looked in it when he was still with us. He came back very much the same person, most others did not.
This illustration speaks volumes to me, and I know does to most of us in the Forum, but to the majority of young people today, it is just a picture of a myth.
My Mom did her part too, for a time she worked in a machine shop, but then returned to her heritage as a baker--folks gotta eat too (my Grandpa ran a bakery)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Yes, wonderful details. Head gaskets, clear light bulb, dies, copper-plated oil can... I wonder if anybody can ID the back-lit item directly below the vise handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Jack handle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

I looked at that too Steve, and it is a bit confusing. I'm not even sure where the "back-lighting" comes from, but it looks the same as the window panes. The item within that back-lighting and below the vise handle almost looks like one of those stove handles that were a rather ornate and delicate iron casting with various perforations that made them cooler to handle for lifting stovetop lids and such from cast iron wood-burning stoves. Only thing is, I don't see a cast iron stove in the picture. Seems like we should be able to identify it tho' as "Norman" took the time and trouble to add that little detail, whatever it is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

the item Steve is referring to like like an old wrench i have. its curved, and has many sizes of holes for nuts. a whole set of box ends in one wrench !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Well, if the three main parts of the stove are lifter, leg and poker, that might be the lifter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

I'm not sure what is hanging below the vice but the distributor body for the '34 Ford that is parked in the garage is in the jaws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

thats a "del-sole" spotlight hanging above the scale, maybe hooked up to use right there! norman surely had some car knowledge to put in all that detail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 02:57 am:

The "back light" is light coming through the windows, they go to the floor.
AMAZING detail--Norman may not have had a lot of car knowledge, just a very good eye for detail.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration