1915 speedster project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1915 speedster project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Schrodt on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

I'm about to get my hands on a 1915 speedster that hasn't run for quite sometime and was wondering how I should go about getting it running again. Do y'all have any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Most exhaustive list I've seen!!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Good grief. I guess you can do all those things in that list, and in July, when you're done, you can give it a try. But I think I'd opt for the following list. If it runs, you can spend some time with it to see what you've got. THEN you can revert to the more detailed lists provided.

1,Change the oil,
2, Pour some gas in it (providing it isn't varnished up).. in which case you will have to clean the fuel system and rebuild the carb.
3, Hook a battery up and see if it buzzes.
4, If it buzzes, start cranking and see what happens.

Keep in mind that any number of things can be wrong with it resulting in you employing that long list, but this is the abbreviated version that can have you running in a few hours. It has worked for me on several Model T's that were in storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

It might be helpful to find out what, if anything, was wrong with it when it was laid up 15 years ago if that is possible. If it was running OK when put into storage Jim' s advice makes sense and should be all you need to do to get it started. On the other hand, if it was laid up because it was having problems they certainly did not get better over time. When I bought my '27 it had not run for almost 20 years but had been driven into the garage when the owner died. Fresh gas, a battery and it was off to the races! However, when I bought my '12 that had not run in more than 10 years it took everything short of a total mechanical rebuild to get it running as the 90 year old owner had laid it up because he could no longer get it running after driving it for more than 30 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Schrodt on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Thanks for all the great advice! As far as I know it was still running when it was put away. They only put it up when the owner passed away 30 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

You may get lucky then. I helped a friend get a car started a year ago that had not run since 1951. I set up a gas can drip as the tank still had foul smelling gas and varnish in it, cranked it over 4 turns with full choke, turned on the switch and it started on compression . Model T's will amaze you! Good luck.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration