Another new guy question about jacking up the car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another new guy question about jacking up the car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

I have never seen one on jacks or jacked up a model T. I looked through the Ford Service and the Ford Manual and they both just say to jack up the car. Where does one place the jack? I would assume on the suspension behind the wheel being lifted but I don't want to find later that doing that damages the axle, bearings or something.

Stupid question but I need to lift the rear end up to get the brakes set correctly this weekend.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Everyone seems to have a "favorite" place to place the jack but most prefer to set the jack outboard just far enough to get your jack stand in place. Some jack the center section with a floor jack and lift both at once - this will "create a stir" with some folks around here but considering the abuse these cars took in their day on "those" roads - I can't see much harm in carefully jacking up the center.

Give me shout if you want to come over and look at my "junk".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

I might add that to place the jack directly under the axle housing whichever side you are lifting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

I put the jack under the axle, front or rear. Either to one side, to lift one wheel, or in the middle, to lift the whole end. As Steve says, others will vehemently disagree about lifting in the middle, especially the middle of the rear axle. I've done it that way forever and my dad, who drove T's since the thirties did too. Never bent a rear axle housing.

If I had a the earlier 12 rivet rear end I might reconsider however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Jack under the left rear axle, sure helps starting that stubborn Ford.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

I'm with Jerry on this, if anything lifting from the center might help straighten the axle as they claim most are bent anyway. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

I would not lift my car from the rear center if it was a '12 or earlier but anything after that should not be a problem. The early rears are notoriously weak but the later ones are fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

I would not lift an early rear end from the center, but wouldnt worry about the latter ones. I doubt there is a T in existence that hasnt been jacked there many many times. I have never seen or heard of damaged bolts or housings from jacking there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

I lifted my 15 with a floor jack for several years under the center. As soon as everyone started saying not to do that, I started to lift from the sides. A real pain in the rear to get the jack over enough to allow the jack stand to fit beside it! Right soon after, the pumpkin started to leak, making a real mess of the floor and trailer. Yesterday I finally pulled the rear end to fix it. And wouldn't you know, the gasket on the. Lower side had slipped. Think I'll go back to jacking from the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Any problems jacking a Ruckstell from the center?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

It may be OK to lift in the center, but why do it if you don't have to? I made this jack adapter to lift both sides at once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

you might not have any problems jacking from the center but the weight of the whole rear of the car is on the jack if you do. If you jack one side, only the weight of that side is on the jack. Also it is closer to where the spring is attached to the axle, so is more like it would be in use.

The Ruckstell is worth more than a standard rear end, so depending on whether you want to take chances with it.

Anyway, I jack near the wheel on both front and rear axle.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

At the ends. Not in the center. Just because you can't see a bend in it does not mean it is straight, i have measurably bent axle housings in my spare parts collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

$38 (minus 20%) at Harbor Freight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Think I will head over to Harbor Freight! I do have a Ruckstell so wasn't going to jack from the center. Now to find the Harbor Freight ad that just arrived.

Ron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Chris, I just went on their site and could find a jack like the one you have posted. Did you make or add the extensions?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Sorry, didn't look far enough. I found it. Thanks
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

What does Harbor Freight call that gizmo? I looked under jacks without finding it.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Steel floor jack cross beam. Item 60762. You can search for jack, then click on jack accessories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Chris - It might be well to note that the HF "cross beam" will not quite do what Steve Jelf's "jack adaptor" will do without using wood blocks or something to provide clearance for the differential housing,...for what it's worth,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Thanks guys, the number did it and I now have one on order with the 20% online discount coupon.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Harold, you are correct. The pads on the Harbor Freight gizmo go up to about 3" above the beam. Great for a front axle, but you do need extra blocks for the rear.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration