1917 tt rear rims needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1917 tt rear rims needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff b bell on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

I need the rear rims for my 1917 TT chasis, already have the hubs and fellows. any help would be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Don't the pre1919 rear wheels have solid rubber tires that do not come off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

I had an 18 witch had solid rubber rear wheels
My 21 has after market hard rubber wheels all the way around

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Crouch on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

I thought the TT didn't come out until 1918.??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

There were a few built for the Army prior to normal release but first ones available to the public if I remember were in December 1917. These would be considered year model 1918. Hard rubber for the rear was used up until 1922 I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 12:54 am:

Rim info indicates that the 23" Hayes were used 1919 onward, am thinking they may have been optional with the hard rubber as the other option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff b bell on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

my wheels could have been added later, but the hubs are 7". did not have tires when I got it, already sent fellows to calimers for spokes, I think they were 23"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Most of the 23" for the rear of the TT were Hayes however Ford also used Kelsey as a second supplier.
Unless you can supply a detail picture of your steel felloes, I would suggest you wait until you get them back and ID exactly what you have. The Hayes and Kelsey 23" do not interchange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Layden, do you by chance have a pic of each?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff b bell on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

thanks for the info Layden, how can I tell them apart?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Here are some pictures of a 23" Hayes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Mine look like that. Would like to see a pic of the "other type" so I can keep from buying the wrong one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

I have a Kelsey 23" but it is in my shed that is frozen shut. The rims on a Kelsey do not have attached lugs. They use a separate lug with a built in nut that allows it to swivel for rim removal. Also there is an insert that goes between the felloe and the rim. The picture of the lugs is one that Steve Jelf posted last year and the wheel is one that belongs to Andy Loso.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Thanks Justin, that is the info I needed, and so I hope it helps others also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Hope these help.

a

aa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff b bell on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

can I tell from the steel fellows or hubs which rim I need? thanks for the info on the rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Hubs are the same for all 4 types of rear wheels that the TT used.
I believe that the outer edge on the Hayes steel felloe flairs toward the hubcap, see 3 pictures above by Justin H.
The outside edge on the Kelsey is not.
You may also be able to read stamped markings on the rim side of the felloe between the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff b bell on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

if they have the round band where rim meets fellow are they Kelsey Rims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Only the Kelsey uses what is called a clamping ring between the rim and the felloe. The 6 lugs press on it as seen in the single wheel picture by Justin above.
The ring is actually 6 sided in cross section, that is unless someone replaced it with a piece of steel rod!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff b bell on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Perfect, thanks. I need 2 Kelsey rear rims if anyone has them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Jeff, I believe that I have 2 really nice Kelsey rims but it may be a few weeks until I can get them out of my shed. The ground has heaved up and wedged my door shut. I love winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff b bell on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Thanks Justin, I look forward to hearing from you when warmer weather comes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Well, I got the shed open. For reference,here are some more pictures of a Kelsey 23" wheel without a rim on it and also some of the rims. I'll send you a PM about the rims Jeff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

awhile back i asked for identification of a tt rim, and before i posted the question i looked at ALL the old threads,and this one takes the prize. nice pictures justin and as always wheel facts from layden, thank you both. this thread should take care of any questions on tt rear wheels and rims

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration