24 Touring Progress, Body Drop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 24 Touring Progress, Body Drop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

My wife and I set the body on the chassis. Everything went perfect. A word of caution if you install your body this way. If you use a single strap or a chain, and you put it over the hook on the chain falls, the body can slide one way or another and end up on its side. On the back I used two separate straps with hooks on them. On the front I used a single strap, but on one side of the hook was the tightener for the strap, on the other side of the hook I clamped a vise grip C-clamp, so that it couldn't slide on the hook. This kept the body extremely stable during this process. I made the brackets out of scrap, and used lag screws to hold them to the sills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Nice paint work! If you did it yourself you did good.

I know you're a ways away from driving it but, I noticed a Ruxtell. Please for your family as well as yourself install some aux brakes if you haven't already planned on it.

You are going to have a great looking car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Gary, thanks for the compliment. Yes I did the paint work. I do everything except machine work myself. I get my interiors from Elizabeth but install them myself. I am installing Rocky Mountain Brakes, the cross shaft is already installed. I hope to be driving it this year. It should have been done by now, but the grandson keeps me busy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

I know what you mean about the grandson taking time! Was just talking about that today with a co-worker. I spent my Sunday afternoon doing a honey do and he was over helping me. Put a cordless drill in their hand and a nail gun and they will quickly forget all about their video games.

You will be remembered as to cool Grandpa!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Ditto on the paint job. Looks fantastic !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

I like the way you stabilized the body. With just your wife & yourself it could have gotten out of hand. As others have mentioned, the paint looks fabulous.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Dan,

Nice job! Great paint! Good plan with the grandson.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Man, Dan that looks great. And I like your method more than having two people on either side and risking a pinched finger!

I remember the day we dropped the body on my T. It's all downhill from there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

All you lack now is finishing up! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Looks great. I hope you post more pics as you complete the project. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 04:00 am:

Fellows, the body drop here has become somewhat of a tradition. When I built my roadster buckboard in 1985, I co-opted the help of 4 mates from the machine shop just down the road. One on each corner and me directing traffic, and the job was done without drama.
Then in 1991, the same crew lifted the tourer body onto my 1915 chassis.
By the time the Haigh's chocolate van was ready in 1994, they were expecting the invitation.

All in, there have now been 6 drops. It is interesting to see how the members of the crew have aged!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 06:23 am:

Thanks for the compliments on my paint job.
Paul and Dan B- Dropping the body on was quick and easy. The only thing that would have made it better is if I had two chain-falls, it would have been even quicker. Basically the only thing we had to watch out for was the gas tank and the rear cross member.
Mike- It still needs a lot more to complete. I have the doors, hood and a bunch of other parts ready for paint. Just waiting for a couple warm days to spray the finishing paint. Then the wet sanding and buffing begins, which will be a considerably amount of time. Then I have to do the fenders, splash aprons and running boards, which are all NOS except one front fender.
In the mean time the three year old tries to help. When I put the chassis together he actually did help. He was putting nuts and bolts on while we were assembling the chassis. So of course it takes a lot longer (I don't mind at all). Last fall we did a complete brake job on my F-150. He figured out how to get the hubcaps off and used the impact gun to take the lug nuts off. He also put them back on. While I was working he brought his own personal tool box over and dumped all of his tools on top off the tools I was using. So progress does take awhile longer. His saying is "I can do it"!
Rob- When it is complete. I will post a series of pictures, I bought this body from a guy who dug it out from a field in Kansas. The dirt line was a third of the way up the door, but there was no rust out. I bought it at Hershey but to get it home, I had to take it apart to get it in the motor home. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture of it before we took it apart. I do have pictures of it as a pile of sheet metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Dan, what kind of paint did you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Dan, I wouldn't expect anything less of you! Yeah, the gas tank interfers a bit. I wonder if it will go in from the top? I'm like you, I like to do it all myself. When you install the top you may have to shim the body bolts, because the top puts pressure on the back side of the body. I can hardly wait to see the final results. Hope to see you and Ellen at Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

Tim the paint I use is Limco2. Limco 12 medium reducer. Limco lhm medium hardner. I'm sure there are a number of paints that will do as well. The secret to the finish I get is in the sanding and buffing. There are many grits of wet dry paper. I start out with 600 to cut the as sprayed gloss. Then I go to 1000,1500, and finish with 2000. These work well for me but you can go crazier. I have many styles of sanding blocks, what works for me the best is a simple wooden paint stick. I get good ones at Home Depot and cut different lengths. Cross cut as you sand, keep wet,rinse off with fresh water and sight down the panel to check for straightness. Do this also to the primer, use 400 grit. When you are satisfied you are ready to buff. I use carbroumdum carbo finish 055395-01209. But there are other systems as well. Start out with a wool pad, then use a medium sponge pad and finish off with a fine sponge pad. You have to make sure you have enough paint on or you will sand and buff through to primer. You have to go over the panel a few times with each pad until you are satisfied with how it looks. When you are done it looks like base coat clear coat, but it isn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Larry, the gas tank really was not a problem, Ellen just had to watch that and the rear cross member to make sure they were lining up okay. We havent decided if we are going to Chickasha or not this year, if not we will see you in Hershey.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration