1911 on American Pickers Wed. night 02-25-15

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1911 on American Pickers Wed. night 02-25-15
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Anyone see what was described as a 1911? Model T and Model A on the show tonight. Had VA license plates but I could not make out the year on the plate. Looked pretty neat. It would be nice to know how much of this is "TV" or actual finds? It was still neat to see, no matter what the situation!
$12K for the T, $6.5K for the A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

For the price they bought it for I would have picked it up it in a heartbeat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

they have a web site, see how much it cost now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 12:03 am:

They no longer sell online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 02:48 am:

I believe it's already sold. It was an 11 Dixie wide track. Had an 11 closed valve engine, earlier steering column, Brown 19 headlamps, Brown sidelights & taillight. Heinze coil box. The seats had vinyl covers and the wheels were not correct, had non- demountable steel fellow clinchers on the front and square fellows on the rear? The windshield was correct with the exception of the hinges which were steel not brass. Wood on the body was solid. All that a side they made out like bandits. Felt sorry for the son he just didn't have an idea of the value. I'm all for a bargain but then I have to live with myself. Just saying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 06:14 am:

Maybe he could have sold it for more, but when selling to a flipper, you know you will not get top dollar.

I know if someone came to me with cash in hand and gave me a fair price and/or exceeded what I had in my mind, I probably would just sell and not have to deal with posting and maintaining ads, and/or auctions which still have fees attached. Sometimes the aggravation of doing all that is worth a loss of a little profit and making a quick sale---but that is just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Yep, I agree Chad. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I loathe selling stuff privately. The person who shows up with cash definitely has more power than they realize

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

Dan's right. I remember some years ago looking at a truck in a junky yard with a beat-up mobile home for a house on it. The truck looked pretty sad, but mechanically was good. They had been asking $800 for it, but folks that would stop all wanted to "trade" for it. I had been advised that "cash talks-just show them the green stuff" so I (coming prepared!)said "I'll give you $400--CASH" and started counting out $50 bills. I knew I had them when they started rocking back and forth on their feet--finally, "OK--IF you will take care of the smog." Well, here in CA, that is the responsibility of the seller, no matter what the deal, but I said, "OK". Turned out the truck had some smog-legal speed equipment on it--was a great truck, drove it for 150K miles after that, until the body started falling apart!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Back to Mike and Frankie on 'A. Pickers' last night: Before they bought the '11 touring, they didn't even look to see a clamshell or open valve engine ! And John Tannehill: How did you ascertain so much detail? I am impressed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Can't really say right now but it does have the correct clamshell 6 rivet with the reinforce boss or so I heard. The horn while a double twist does not have the correct resonator it's round not oval.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

i know two guys who have had the pickers over. its all bought before the camara is rolling

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

I don't care how it's done. I get to see people's collections from all over the country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

Show scripted i been asked bring a car and my cannon down to vegas to be on pawn stars
I flip the nickel down and back but if i get on the show they pay for the trip
Guessing you know what i told them and i wont be aired on tv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 05:48 am:

Sounds suspiciously like either John or someone he know's is in the process of owning that beautiful auto! Congrats - it's a really nice looking '11 (my favorite model T year followed by the 1914) I only wish I could have found it first!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 07:26 am:

I have a friend whose local chamber of commerce wants to be on the show. He is not interested. Word is, they are coming anyway. He does not want everyone knowing what he has. Not sure how things will work out. He has gates at the road, so he can keep them closed, but I suppose they could still film from the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 11:21 am:

I personally would not let either of those two a$$-hats near my stuff. I detest the way they treat people and they act like they are all knowing about everything they see. Some of us were doing the same thing they are doing now, years ago. I've been "picking" and "flipping" for over 60 years ever since I was a kid. When you ask me how much I want for something I give you a price because that's what I want for it. Don't then start picking it apart and give me the "I've got to get it back to Iowa.." or "How about (insert less than half of what I want here)". I don't believe they respect the sellers at all. I do watch the show though because I like to see other people's collections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Bruce - Are we watching the same show?

I think Mike is very respectful of the owners by the way he is interested in the back story behind a lot of the pieces. Whether it's for the TV or not, I've seen him many times look an old man in the eye and with a two hand handshake, thank him for preserving history.

I never understood why some people get offended during negotiations. To me, it's not really an emotional thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Personally, the only reason I get offended is because I'm jealous! What a great job to have - traveling our beautiful country picking through other peoples "trash" to find treasure! I agree with Dan B. - Mike seems like a first class guy and I've seen him give above what someone asks for because he know's it's worth a whole lot more. I don't really care for Franks manners - he seems more interested in the almighty dollar than Mike. I have to admit that I almost puked when he bought that gorgeous 1911 for a fraction of what it's worth, but to his credit, he admitted to Frank that if it (the 1911) was running and on the road, it would only be worth 15K. So he obviously didn't know the real value of that year T, but I'm sure after he bought it he figured it out! I'd really love to know who he sold it to and what he got for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

I knew Hank Snow well. He was the guy who sponsored me as an AACA member back in 1970. I knew the car and it had not run for many years. At one point, there was some flooding at Hanks and the T may have suffered some. Not sure but I think there was water up to the running boards on some cars. I remember Hank worked hard to drain and flush everything. It would need restoration so I think the price was ok. Could have held out for more and put up with tire kickers, could have done an auction and paid the commission. Instead, the family chose this venue. I believe that Hank would have approved of his collection being shared with the entire national TV audience and it was a great tribute to him to visit Boykins and see his stuff. Rest in piece good friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:04 am:

I'm like Bill,plus I just love the show for the scenery and the variety of locations they get to go to that I never will, and especially to get a chance to briefly enjoy a lot of old Americana! Everytime they are near those beautiful visible gas pumps I about wet my pants! We DVR virtually all our TV shows (what few good ones there are) so when I see some of the neat things that they only really give you mere seconds to look at it, I back it up, pause it, and take a good long look at stuff. It's just amazing how these guys come across so many artifacts that often date back even before the civil war. Lucky guys. But then, I don't relish living out of a suitcase like they do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:40 am:

I also agree with Dan, I think Mike is very respectful, Danielle and Mikes brother are also nice. Frank is OK but a little "rough" around the edges. I also was a "picker" for almost thirty years. I do not do it much anymore, since I retired, but I still get the urge to go out and try a few "cold picks" just for fun again. Anyone who believes the show is fake, has never been out in the world very much. I agree the show is scripted, and they probably only show a few of the actual items that are bought, that is the nature of TV , but it is very real. As to finding all the real big hoards and high profile sellers, the "show" has made that possible. Everybody and their brother wants to be "picked" by the "pickers". (except maybe Bruce from above). As to price. A picker is always trying to double his money. You have too. You get lucky and double on some things, other things you make a very little bit of profit on, after all the work of buying and trying to sell it. and other things you lose your butt on. It all has to work even out to a decent profit overall. Then there are the ones who don't like them because they are worth a few million dollars each. That is something that has happened because of the show and a lot of very hard work...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 10:03 am:

I once picked a pick that was aired on American Pickers. Quite a few years ago, they were picking a guy in rural West Virginia named Galen Bean. He had several old cars in his basement (the house was built on a hill and had a garage door that ramped down). One of the cars was a 1914 Touring that belonged to Galen's dad, who bought it in 1937. It looked rough but complete. I was really intrigued by that car, and we were planning a vacation out to Virginia the following summer so I tracked the guy down and made arrangements to see the car on our vacation. The car was missing most of the interior, the top and sidelamps but was still very solid. I took several pictures and made him an offer which I thought was fair, but he really wasn't interested in selling the car. It was still pretty cool to see the basement that was aired on tv and to see all the stuff he had packed in down there. I believe there was even an old carriage from the 1880's down there. I often wonder if that car is still sitting in that damp, dark basement.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration