Two Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Two Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Livingston on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Gentlemen,

The first question indicates my lack of knowledge. Are safety hubs available for TTs and are they necessary or recommended for a flanged wheel running on railroad track? If the axle breaks the wheel can't go to far.

Second, although I'm a confirmed railroad nut, I have owned, rebuilt and driven a 1939 Plymouth P-8 sedan, a 1961 Triumph TR-3A, and various other vehicles.

In addition to the bequest of a considerable amount of money for the construction of a replica Oahu Railway and Land Company TT rail bus the Hawaiian Railway Society received from the estate of our benefactor two Model T chassis. After beginning to learn more about Model Ts I am considering purchasing one of these chassis to build a depot hack which would compliment the Society's operations. However, I have no idea of the fair value of this chassis. Based on the engine serial number only, 8805462, it is a 1923 model. Your opinions are solicited. I do believe I have been bitten by the Model T infection.

The chassis I am considering is the one in front. Yes there is an engine under the hood and it is believed to run.

Jeff Livingston
Historian
Hawaiian Railway Society

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 06:10 am:

I'm not aware of any safety hubs for the TT. The axle shafts are so much larger than the car axle, so the risk for a break would be minimal - the load as a rail bus won't be near as much as the TT's were loaded back in the day. But you should of course inspect the axle shafts very carefully, perhaps magnaflux them when you have it down for rebuild.

How wide is the track? Can you make the change into a rail vehicle by changing wheels only?

I'm not familiar with antique car prices in Hawaii, but the chassis looks very nice and may have been running not so long ago - but maybe the cab was needed elsewhere?
Depending on the condition of the engine, around $2,500? If you don't need the rear rims and tires, there's some value in the rims since they're often irreparable rusty or missing on project TT's. Check so the brake shoes are included inside the rear brakes - they are also rare and hard to find.

My opinions above is for TT trucks. The chassis in the front in your picture looks more like a car chassis? The rear tires doesn't look as large compared to the fronts as I would have expected on a TT?

If it turns out to be a car chassis, maybe safety hubs is a good idea if equipped with a heavy rail bus body resting heavily on the rear end.

TT trucks are very slow. You may want a (rare) high speed rear end (5.17:1 instead of 7.25:1) or an accessory transmission to get an overdrive if you use it for passenger transport.

8805462 is a november 1923 serial number, making it a 1924 model year with a high radiator.

Here is a photo of a TT chassis:

tt chassis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Hey, I just remembered you've been here before - here's your 2012 thread on the same project: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/323010.html?1353718299

And here's a thread with a couple of original photos of TT's on rails: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/435234.html?1396520729

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:48 am:

I know nothing about the hubs, so no comment on that. The 1923 chassis looks like a good start for a hack. Prices vary by location. In these parts I've seen similar chassis priced from $1200 to $2000. Whether that range is overspending or a wonderful bargain or just right depends on condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Livingston on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Thank you Gentlemen,

These are two different projects. The TT rail bus continues and should be moving faster now that all the funding is in place. Our goal is to have the chassis complete and operational by the end of 2015 with the body to follow.

The two T chasses were part of the estate donation to build the rail bus. If I buy one it will be a personal project. I was thinking about $1,500 would be fair. The purchase price would be added to the rail bus project. There are not many Ts in Hawaii but there are some very nice ones.

Jeff Lvingston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Without a steering column and the attendant throttle and timing controls, it is difficult to make the motor run. So if it did run at one time they are correct in 1924 but not necessarily today. If the motor really does run, I am skeptical, then $2k would be tops, but $1000 near the true value. IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

agree with Tony, and if the gas tank and radiator are shot, then even less

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Livingston on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Thank you again Gentlemen,

The radiator is fairly new, clean and dry. Gas tank looks sound and in very good condition. Steering column and controls are there but separate. I'm still thinking $1,500 but have to decide if I really have sufficient time to invest in another project and see it through. Working full time, my railroad research and writing and being the TT project manager already take most free time available.

Jeff Livingston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Let someone that has time and is dedicated have a chance to buy and restore it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration