Oatman Az

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oatman Az
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Out Model T's got almost as much attention as did the other antiques here. They definitely fit the "theme".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Ah, memories! It's remarkable, driving up that steep, narrow, twisting road today, to recall that it was once Route 66, The Mother Road. More than once I rode up it in the back seat of a 1941 Plymouth in a long line of cars in second gear, behind a truck slowly toiling its way to the summit on a hot summer day. At every turnout there would be a car with its hood up to let the steaming radiator cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Roads are pretty good today Steve... At least from the Ft Mohave direction. Coming in the other way is VERY rugged and probably similar to what you remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Do they still let you buy carrots to feed the wild burros? Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Harvey,

They sell "burrow food" that looks to me like burrow poop that has been dried, compressed and then cubed.

No idea what it really is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Probably one of the Soylent products.
Best regards. BE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

I used to live in Bullhead City and went to Oatman all the time. In fact my wife was thrown out of the Oatman Saloon once. Young and wild. Fun little town. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Steve Jelf & John Aldrich - Kathy and I drove our 34" Pace Arrow motor home over that road and thru' Oatman five years ago. No problem, but remember deciding that that road was NOT designed for that kinda' rig!

Drive careful John and consider coming home soon! Great photo of your '15 and Larry's speedster and your "best side"!

How's Dave Fairchild doing? Haven't noticed any "updates" from Connie lately,.....??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Note: I should have mentioned that at the outset when we started that section of "The Mother Road", we saw a sign that said,...."NO TRUCKS". Of course, I figured,....."well, what the heck! We're not a truck! We're a motor home!"

........live & learn, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 12:39 am:

Dave is on the mend and should continue his rehab in Ft Mohave in a day or so. Larry and Rose are both ok but as you can imagine Larry still blames himself while Dave continues to take the blame as well.

All's well that ends well and both will be home in a couple of months per the original plan. More offline...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 12:47 am:

Ouch, what happened? A traffic incident?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Roger - An one car Model T incident (purely accidental) whereby one of our club members fell from a moving Model T driven by his brother and received a head injury. Was hospitalized but is apparently doing fine for which ("Praise the Lord") we are all very thankful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 02:39 am:

Great to hear he who hit his head is doing fine indeed :-)

Without front doors, a seat belt can be considered for the front seat passenger, I think. It could be made out of period looking leather belts if the aim is just to keep the passenger from falling out on rough roads or from a minor collision. No steering wheel to hold on..

I have non period (1960) accessory seat belts on my primitive pickup - it can be seen in this picture:

belted passenger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 03:21 am:

Roger - I've done the same thing. My profile picture shows one of my grandsons riding with me in our '27 depot hack. As you can see, it does have a roof, but it would be almost as easy for a child to fall out of as your open pickup. I have installed seat belts for six in the depot hack, and any of my 16 grandchildren, and 8 great grandchildren who all love to ride in the depot hack, are buckled in safely and I can pay close attention to my driving instead of having to worry about the kids, especially the really little ones, jumping around and possibly falling out.

Not to start a heated discussion about all of the "pros & cons" of seat belts, but for just that one reason, protection of small children, ( especially in an open or semi-open car) I think seat belts are an absolute MUST! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:56 am:

Harold, I vote for no seat belts... this way I can save money on Christmas presents and use for better tires for my Ts...

Roger, I like your little pickup... where is the gas tank? Any chance of seeing anymore pics of this truck, please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 07:58 am:

(sorry about the thread drift) Wes, it has a regular 1920-25 oval tank some distance behind the front passenger. After the above picture was taken the tank got covered by a combined emergency rear seat and tool box. There are seat belts for the emergency rear passengers inside the box. A picture from the rear in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/508197.html?1420731822

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 08:29 am:

I have a feeling that a good "head bump" might actually do most T people a little good ! :-)

Or perhaps, that is how they ended up as T people in the first place (speaking strictly for
myself on that one !) :-)

Mom said it was an accident, but ..... the large hex indent on my head and the chances
of landing squarely on a fire hydrant make me suspicious ..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Burger you better get a mirror and look at the top of your head. The top nut on a fire hydrant is five sided not hex. Your suspicions might be correct:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Herb, you are correct. Which only makes me more suspicious of Mother's story .... :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration