What accessory do you think was one of the best for the Model T Ford, show us

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What accessory do you think was one of the best for the Model T Ford, show us
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

I think this is one of the best accessory parts ever made they work so great we decided to make them, if you ever had to change a fan belt on a hot motor this was the trick
We make these right here in states and have sold tons of these
part # T-3905-SN The crank ratchet pin that is spring loaded, no more pin with a cotter key;
Lets see your favorite accessory, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

Mike - That's the only one "Henry" liked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

I don't have a picture but the Pedal extension for reverse and the wider bolt on ones for the low speed and brake pedals. The reverse especially for people like me who wear size 13 boots!
They do make things a little easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Since the Ruckstell is already mentioned, my vote for second place is the various higher compression heads. Great addition to get more out of those 20 horses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

The lined brake shoe for the small drum.

The neoprene seals for the axle shafts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

The Ruckstell axle greatly improves the drivability of the Model T, and gets my vote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

For winter I think the Snowmobile conversions gave the T year round use for work especially the Mail and Doctors... next I would vote for the Livingood 4x4 conversion. Although not sold in large numbers it gave the T the ability to traverse any terrain (especially in the times where most roads where horse paths..

livingood1

Livingood2

snowmobile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

The oil screen under the transmission inspection lid that collects all kinds of lint and dirt that shouldn't circulate in the oil is one.

The high volume oil line that taps oil from the flywheel and distributes it to the front of the engine is another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Bob, I agree with you. I show my 1911 touring and drive it on tours. When I show I have to put on a leather fan belt. The crank ratchet pin with a cotter pin is a pain in the neck to change. Thanks
for making them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Roger - agree. Those two devices saved a ton of engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Ditto Peter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Wow Robert! In all the years I've been on this forum, I've never seen that 4x4 accessory. How did I miss it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 27, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

I know, I know, there's 3 accessories in this one picture. I'd say my favorite is the Bosch Triple Gear drive that lets you run a high tension magneto. It single-handedly eliminated problems with magnets, magneto coil, timer, coil box, and coils. Name another accessory that eliminates as many areas that routinely cause problems. Even a dizzy requires more parts and a battery. The high tension mag adheres to all the same principles that folks like about the stock ignition: hand-crank startable and no battery needed. Heck, it does one better by providing a much more consistent spark at high RPM. What else has such a dramatic improvement on the T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 01:01 am:

Motometers are great. They give one more method of monitoring your car's performance, and they look just plain cool.

Another one I'm excited to use this year is the manifold cooker. After a long day of motoring, I can work up a powerful hunger. Not a performance enhancer or anything like that, but definitely a nice addition.

Those are the only two accessories I have so far, but I'm open to trying new things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 03:18 am:

I really think the combination manifold is a really nice accessory. I realize that their main purpose "back in the day" was to aid in burning the poor grade of gasoline at that time as efficiently as possible. However, another nice feature is the fact that the combination manifold just about completely eliminates the possibility of a warped exhaust manifold. I'm not sure how you'd explain this,....whether the cool fuel/air mixture through the intake portion of the large combination manifold casting tends to somewhat cool the exhaust portion of the manifold, or, if the hot exhaust tends to warm the fuel/air mixture which passes through the intake and into the cylinders, and which by the way, pretty much ends the old debate about whether or not to use the carburetor heat stove/pipe. At any rate, they run real good, even with modern gasoline, and altho' at least a dozen or so companies made them, I personally like the ANCO (Anderson) and the Wilmo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:18 am:

Being one of those despised purists, I'd have to go with aftermarket air for my tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:45 am:

Scat crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

The older brown New Day timer.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

YOU are ALL correct!!!!!
Hal!!! Original AIR?
Sounds like Royce!
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

All mentioned are great! IMHO I believe any auxiliary brake system is the "best" accessory

I don't necessarily think aux brakes were the best accessory in the day because the design of the T, the roads and traffic conditions were better matched. However, we drive our T's in 2015. Roads are much better and traffic moves much faster. Effective brakes at T top speed are a must now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

The tree-lined back road to no place in particular. The free day with nowhere to be and
all the time in the world to get there. Without those two, owning a Model T is as pointless
as tits on a tomcat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Looks like we are doing ok. We manufacture 3 out of the bunch. The Ruckstell Axle, Neoprene Axle Seals and the Miles Built Dual Exhaust Manifold. Funny no one mentioned the High Volume Intake Manifold. It is one of our best selling products we manufacture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

John,

You are highlighting my favorite life "accessory". Seems to work well
with any vehicle I own. Never seems to go out of style or lose its popularity.

I think I'll go give mine a go right now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

John, that is an "accessory" starter! :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Norm - They're usually quite "temperamental"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Rear view mirror.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Surprised no one has mentioned the APCO tie rod ends or thee APCO wishbone cap. Both are mighty handy to reduce slop .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 05:22 am:

Joseph,

It was kind of a 'tongue in cheek' joke. Any time one of us that have been branded with the dreaded "Purist" branding iron raises an objection to someone dropping a V-8 Chevy into their T, we get the smart@$$ remark something to the effect of "Do you use NOS air in your tires? Well then, don't try to tell me what to do with my own car".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:48 am:

Didn't realize a V8 Chevy engine was ever a T "accessory", the title to this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 07:18 am:

Gary, I was explaining my comment to Joseph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

When I purchased my early 26 touring in CA it had many period correct additions and I am still trying to get all in working order. Bumpers, stop light, vacuum wiper, gas pedal, rubber pedal covers with metal edges and a start-o-matic. I since added period correct light that work for back up with a brake light switch to operate and gas gauge (glass tube near passenger door hinge). An oil can needs the mounting to go under a head bold. It has a running board luggage rack and the step plates should be the last. Does anyone know who can/will repair the start-o-matic? And does anyone have the path for a line to go from the manifold to the wiper. It was on the car in early 60's but I can' remember how it was.

All of the accessories are great and can't pick one over the rest.

Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

RAJO OVERHEAD!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Here's a few accessories That would be nice to see reproduced.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/129976.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/118289.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/196810.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/125787.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/123519.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/184584.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/148619.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/261444.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Who'd have thought that Christina would make her first appearance on the 2015 Forum under an accessories thread??!! Boy, have I missed her! Thanks John Semprez!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 05:34 am:

I was thinking that bailing wire was the best accessory for a Model T until I saw John's starter picture and Jay's action cartoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

I guess I missed the post from Royce about the accessory Water Pump being the best. I am hoping to make Chickasha if weather permits. Maybe I can find a pump there and add to his collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

I wanna know when Christina is going to do another T photo shoot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

I'm with Seth. Been WAY too long!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Here's the best Model T accessory I've ever seen. It's a whiskey still in the bed of the pickup--provides fuel for both the Model T and the driver--a real necessity in the Ozarks. I saw this at the Springfield, MO, swap-meet a couple of years ago.
still

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

So Rick, did you buy it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

No I didn't buy it--darn it. Actually it was not for sale. It was a member's car put there as part of a display for a local MTFCA Chapter. I don't know who the owner is. It is a very nice un-restored 1925 Model T pickup. I've seen it at several local car events around Springfield, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Don't leave home without it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Ben Hardeman says, "With a cell phone and a credit card, you can drive a Model T anywhere." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 01:54 am:

My favorite one is the luggage rack.:-)

(which I haven't mounted yet...unfortunately).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:12 am:

There are a lot of great accessories for the Model T. I bet Jay could write one heck of a book on the subject. Didn't somebody write a book about them? I've heard of such a thing, but cannot for the life of me remember who wrote it. Maybe we'll find some hidden gems in there for this list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:29 am:

How 'bout a gadget that allows one man to gracefully deploy a 2-man top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Jared. It was James L. Kenealy who wrote three books on Model T Accessories.

Here's a link to buy all three for $45 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Authentic-Accessories-1909-1927-James-L-Ken ealy-Vol-I-II-III-/321678743700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae58c1894

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:49 am:

The best accessory you can put in a T is a competent driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Thanks Jay. I knew I'd seen it a few times, either on eBay or on the forum. Just couldn't remember who wrote it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:11 am:

#1 Ruckstell
#2 E-timer
#3 Sure stop disc brakes
That is MY opinion & i'm sicken to it!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration