T & A fun in the desert

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: T & A fun in the desert
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

At the end of this text you will hopefully find a copy of some remarks to our local senior center participants along with 3 pictures. If one reads the remarks first it will give you a better idea of what was going on. That said, it was an event enjoyed by both the senior's as well as the antique car driver's. Just us "elderly's" having fun down in the desert.

If any of you reading this ever have occasion to visit Ajo, AZ, please give me a call and we will give you the deluxe Model T tour of our unique little town. My tel # is 520-387-8645.

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.documentSenior tour
SENIOR CENTER TOUR REMARKS.docx (15.3 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Bill,
It looks like your attached document was incorrectly named. Here is what I found after changing the file extension:

AJO SENIOR CENTER
ANTIQUE CAR TOUR

Feb 27, 2015

Preliminary remarks, Wednesday, February 25, 2015: By Bill Rigdon

Thank you for this opportunity to make a few remarks this morning. My name is Bill Rigdon and I am here today in behalf of our very informal but somewhat unique group of Ajo car enthusiasts that meet every Tuesday and Friday morning down at Millie’s Roadrunner Coffee Shop to drink coffee, share our automotive interests and tell lies to one another.

Our group has a great appreciation for the automobiles from days gone by, not only for their unique appearance but also for some of their unusual original mechanical characteristics. Don Carr, an active participant in your Senior Center luncheon sessions was also a regular member of our car guys group. It was Don who originally suggested it might be fun to offer a short tour of Ajo in our antique cars to those of you attending these Senior Center lunches. Unfortunately, Don Carr in no longer with us but we well remember the good times we had with him and so, in his honor, we decided to pick up on his tour suggestion. We will be here Friday following lunch to fulfill his suggestion.

A little about Friday’s tour vehicles from the 1920’s and earlier. With all due respect to those of you drove Chevrolets, Dodges, Packards, Studebakers and such, the cars you will be riding in Friday are all Fords. There is a reason for that. 80 or 90 years ago 70% of all the automobiles on the road in America were Fords. Henry made automobiles available and affordable in quantity to the general public. We pay him tribute. It’s not that we don’t like or appreciate other brands of cars, it’s just that there are more old Fords available and there is nothing quite like a drive in an old “fliver”. Incidentally, our oldest car Friday will be a 99 year old 1916 Model T Ford Touring car (black, of course) owned by Jim Honsinger from Why. The other vehicles will be Model A Fords of the late 1920’s owned by Bob Thomas and Lyle Williams and a 1925 Model T owned by Bill Rigdon.

Now, Friday we will be able to take up to three passengers at a time and we have five cars so it will be a dozen or so at a time deal. We will just be going down to the Plaza and looping back so if you are not in the first group it will only be a few minutes until we will be back to take those who may be waiting. All of our vehicles and the passengers are insured, of course, but please be careful getting in and out of the cars. They may be a bit more of a challenge than you remember.

Again, thank you all for this opportunity to share our antique cars with you and we sincerely hope you will enjoy your little “trip back in time”.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

THANKS JIM !!!! I still have no idea what went on but thanks for the assistance. I'll now try another posting and get the pictures up.Senior tour picturesSenior TourSenior tour

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration