OT - Chevy disc wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Chevy disc wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Kilmer on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Are the Chevy disc wheels for '26-'27 (2 1/2 in wide split rims for a 4.00/4.50 x 21 tire) and for the '28 (3" wide split rims for a 5.25 x 21 tire) the same? I have a set of disc wheels that I want to put on my speedster but I have two different size split rims and wonder which is correct for my wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

I don't know any specifics. What I do know is that there are several variations of the Jaxon steel wheels used by Chevrolet and others. Over twenty years ago, I had several of the wheels, Vic Sala had more, and wanted to put together a matching set for a Paco bodied speedster he was restoring. I loaned my wheels to him, he and others looked at a few more wheels to put together four wheels that were a close match for his car. I got my two worst wheels back (I had told him that he would not want to use those two), and three that were different than I had loaned him, but actually a better match for me. Vic's car looked great! (He had three matching and one almost a match wheels). I eventually used my worst two which matched each other and two others that were more common but slightly different.
What we found, was that there are at least three different widths for the steel felly (not counting some of the wheels that were for heavier cars). These will affect the size of rim needed. We also found several different placements where the felly was riveted onto the disc. To put together a nice matching set of wheels, you may have to sort through a dozen wheels or more (unless you get an actual matching set).
The width of the felly is important for the rim to fit properly. The placement of the felly onto the disc can be critical on the front end for proper steering. Different series of wheels may have the disc located anywhere from the inner edge to the outer edge of the felly. That can shift the final location of the tire (in relation to the hub) in or out from the hub nearly a half inch. That, in turn alters the camber placement. If the front wheels do not match? That can result in the steering pulling to one side, and possibly other problems.
Hopefully, Layden Butler (or one of our Chevy friends) can reply with some specific information about the rim sizes. I no longer have the car I had with the wheels, so I cannot measure anything.
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

tHIS is A 20 " CHEV WHEEL ON A "T"

I designed and made adapters to keep the "track width " the same as stock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Lee, I have some chevy disk wheels with adapter plates to use wood wheel hubs. I will be at Chickasha FQ 50-51-52, east side of south bldg.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Kilmer on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

I have 4 good matching disc wheels - Just wondering what are correct rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

a
This is the Jaxon type 30 rim used on Chevrolet disc wheels in 1926-27.
The 1928 version is just a bit wider. The disc for 1928 has a different part number than 1926-27 so we may believe that they are different.
Note 1. There is also a type 29 rim that is identical except the valve stem is closer to the latch ( it also came in wider widths and other diameters). It was used on other make cars that also had disc wheels so those wheels are probably quite similar to the Chevrolet.
Note 2. There were other type Jaxon rims that look very similar, they have a ridge rolled into them on the inside diameter. The Chevrolet rims do not.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration