OT - EBay Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - EBay Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

I'm asking this here because I believe at least some of you are regulars on EBay:

I haven't purchased anything on EBay for several years. Today I wanted to purchase an item (non-T), so I started the purchase process. It was only a $7 item.

When I got to the payment portion it allowed the use of a dredit/debit card, but it said the card used would be processed through PayPal. There was no payment option that didn't include PayPal.

My question is, why does PayPal need to be involved? The vendor in this case could easily just accept my card directly. I killed the transaction because too many people already know too much about me as it is. PayPal does not need my credit card information and I decline to give it to them.

Am I just being an old out of date poop or do I have a point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

This page implies that there is a way to pay with a credit card without using Paypal:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Paying-credit-debit-on-eBay-without-joining-PayPal-/1000 0000013173068/g.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

The way I read it, buyers can pay without creating a PayPal account, however the payment and card information are still processed by PayPal and payment goes directly into the vendors paypal account.

I don't like third party involvement. Too much potential for miss use. It's bad enough when dealing directly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Hmmm, looks like you're right. Perhaps contact the seller directly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

My first purchase from EBay several years ago was horribly botched by PayPal. I vowed to not use them again.

Since then, whenever I am a successful bidder, I contact the seller directly - usually by email, but sometimes only a snail mail address is available. They already know I was the successful bidder. I tell them I will mail them a check, and they are free to hold the check until their bank tells them it has cleared, before shipping the item.

I'm not a huge customer, but this has worked for me every time.

I firmly believe there are a few scam artists on EBay, but most of the sellers are good folks who are trying to either make a few bucks off some leftovers, or trying to clear out a space. For those folks, if I approach them reasonably with a reasonable offer, they will be happy to forego the percentage that PayPal takes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

I think there is collusion between the two businesses. Are not EBay and Pay-Pal owned by the same financial group as of last year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

I know the older generation is concerned about privacy issues but Paypal is great. If you have a dispute with a seller Paypal can refund your money, try getting a refund on your own from someone 1000 miles away. You can send money to people instantly with no fees. As far as privacy goes, anyone who is good on a computer can get all the info they want on you without much trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

If I remember, In 2002 ebay bought PayPal for 1.5 billion. They are one and the same. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

No problems with Pay Pal BUT I only buy when there's cash in my PP account from other sales. I do not back my PP account up with a credit card or bank checking account #'s. If the dough ain't there I don't buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Tbay is spinning off Papal to be separate now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I buy on Ebay occasionally but I don't use PayPal or any credit card. I will use a MO as long as I can.
I ALWAYS ask the seller if he will take a MO before I bid to avoid any confusion. Most sellers will but there are some that wont.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

I use now use PayPal. I fought it for a long time by contacting vendors before I bid for alternative payments and most will take a check or money order. I finally opened a separate checking account that I keep very little money in and use it with PayPal, add cash as needed. To date no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

John P, that is what I did when I first started ebay. I started a separate account with nothing much in it till I need to do something and I put the funds in it,and make the purchase shortly after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

For me, PayPal has always been a very convenient and super secure way to pay. Not just for eBay transactions either. Some of our Model T vendors, well known on this forum, use PayPal as their principal mode for their customers to make payments.
I have my PayPal account linked with my credit card and in that 12 years, there has never been a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

I've never had a problem with PayPal either and I've been with them since before Ebay bought them and before I ever used Ebay. I accept CCs through PayPal too. I would rather pay a vender through PP than to have the vendor process my info. You don't know what kind of security an Ebay vendor uses or who sees the info. Seem most of them are off-shore now anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 12:55 am:

PayPal has worked well for us. It is very convenient and efficient to do business online with it. I like being able to click the PayPal button and the money exchange and shipping info is already a done deal. Also, we have found it makes international business easy. No more dealing with foreign money orders and exchange rates. Yes, PayPal and eBay are partners, but they work well together, at least in my experience.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 01:18 am:

Used PayPal for many years now, never a problem. It's a bit scary nowadays though. . I used them through a bank account that I only use for normal bills, not a credit card. You can't steal what's not there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:50 am:

I use Paypal quite a lot and have no problems. My bank offers free checking accounts, so I set up a new account that's JUST for Paypal, keep a minimum amount of money in it (usually $200 or so), and if I have excess in Paypal account transfer it to this checking account then OUT of it. As Dave above mentions, you can't steal what's not there.

Just had a scam email for the '10 Hudson I have for sale, and he included a "link" to Paypal...which of course was fake but would give him my password....so one just has to be careful..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 11:01 am:

I have used paypal for well over 10 years now. Before that I had a "merchant services" account for processing credit card sales and they charged enormous fees that changed to something additional on a regular basis. Finally I had to drop the "merchant services" thing and they attempted to charge me $250 cancellation fee which my lawyer promptly got rid of. I didn't take credit cards at all for awhile - then along came paypal. They really are great for small business and for our customers too because when you pay with paypal the vendor (us) never even has your credit card info to steal or even lose. It is then an extra layer of protection for you. Only paypal has your credit card info and they never send it to any person or company you buy from. They have some unique problems since unlike your regular bank they have no building that you can go and visit to talk to them. They are ONLINE only. This presents some unique challenges to them and their main issue is "money launderers" who want to open and account and buy/sell some things and then close the account all in the shortest time possible so they can hit and run. Being able to use paypal to process credit cards without having the customer join paypal has long been a nice feature of paypal for small business who have skiddish customers and I fully understand their skiddishness. The important part of the whole thing is understanding what the real risk is and where it comes from. The simple fact is that the more places that you have given your credit card info to the more chances there are to have your card compromised. All yearly purchases I make using paypal combined does not have as much risk as going on a trip with my credit card in hand and paying bills with that actual credit card. Credit card companies are good about false charges but you have to cancel the card and get another one and that is a hassle with any card source so I try to avoid that. I should point out that paypal charges a much smaller fee per transaction by half when compared to previous merchant services account and there are no minimum monthly fees or other BS. I know exactly where I stand with them and can watch the account in real time ONLINE. As a small business it has helped us a lot but there may be other competition eventually if paypal decides to "cash in" and raise the commissions on existing customers. That is what management has essentially been doing on Ebay by raising commissions and insisting on paypal payment and other rules. Once they do that I will then probably go looking for whatever business offers what paypal used to offer. Such is commerce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

PayPal was founded by a guy named Elon Musk.

If you don't know what Elon Musk did with that $1.5 Billion he got from eBay when he sold PayPal to them, Google Tesla and SpaceX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

If you use PayPal, you can get a special security card from them. Used to be $5, might be a little more now. It's basically a pseudorandom number generator. When you log on to PayPal, you push the button on the card and add the 6 digits that come up to the end of your password. One more level of security - and highly recommended since they are handling your money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Ebay forcing. You to pay through paypal if your going pay online
This way they can either screw buyer and or the seller

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration