Mystery Hub wrench and magnet iron

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mystery Hub wrench and magnet iron
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Alright, I am at a loss. I was asked what Ford vehicle this wrench was used for. I have never seen one of these and I am at a loss to even explain it. Any guesses? It does not meet the 1349 Hub cap wrench specs at all. Fordson Tractor maybe?

Also, has anyone seen this Ford marked magnetized folded Iron? What is this and where does it go and what was it used for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Here are the two pictures
Mystery Wrench
clearly stamped with Ford script in the middle

and

Mystery iron
also with a Ford script stamp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Dan,

The lower photo is of one of the magnets that is attached to the engine flywheel. When they pass the wire wound coils it produces the current from the magneto. Below is one of the earlier flywheels with the magnets attached. The magnets were simplified and became thicker over time to generate more electrical power.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cur off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Dan - Wherever you found that magnet, there might be 15 more close by!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Hap -- I've not seen a magneto like the one you pictured. Is that a very early one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Mike,

Yes, that should be a 1909-1910 flywheel(but not the earliest 1909s). I believe the same flywheel is shown below from page Jan-Feb 1979 "Vintage Ford" used by permission to promote our hobby and club.

You can see the earlier flywheel and magnets at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/332485.html Note how the magnets are attached.

Note, I should have added to the post above -- if the magnets are not the correct size for a Model T -- then they might be for a Fordson? I have never looked inside a Fordson so I don't know if the magneto parts are the same or lager etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

I think some Ford heavy trucks used a screw on cap on the front hubs. Maybe your wrench fits these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Thank you all for the answer on the Magneto Flywheel!
Anything on that odd Hubcap wrench. I believe that the smaller hex is for the drain plug but the larger 6-sided hex makes no sense and the wrench itself is completely new to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Maybe TT? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 11:25 am:

What size is the large hex?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Not TT in Australia. Ours were all 8 sided, the same size as the car hubcaps.

Perhaps it fits the later AA trucks with their Alloy caps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

I will find out the size of the larger hex. The fact that it is a hex is the confusing part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Sorry, first I thought it wasn't a Ford tool, then I enlarged the picture and saw the marking :-)

(Message edited by Roger K on March 01, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Fordson hubcap wrench?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

OK. The hex wrench dimensions are:
Large hex is 2" and the small hex is 1 1/8". Total length is 8 7/8"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Perfect fit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Royce, I know. But the wrench is marked with a Ford Script. That does not rhyme. The only Ford I have seen with the six sided Hex is the '999' and the 'Arrow' racing vehicles which Henry built. There must be some other Ford production vehicle. That is what I am looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Why would someone stamp "Ford" on what is obviously a "Chevrolet" wrench?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

It is for a Ford product. But, there are lots of other Ford products besides Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Does it fit the late 1931 to 39 ford front hubs. They had a screw in cap to protect the bearings. I bought a pair of them at a swap meet, they were just too cheap and I did not know what they went to. I asked a knowledgeable mechanic and he told me Ford started to put these on late 1931 A's and all through the 1930's. The cap has threads on the outside and thread into the hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:32 am:

I will check this at the monthly Model A Ford meeting. I still believe it is a pre-model T wrench for a Model C,F,B,N,R, S or K or so. Just don't know which one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

I don't think the tools were marked "Ford" pre 1912 or 1913 - Why would a pre 1909 have a script???

I don't buy it - my first thought was for the PTO cap on a later Ford Tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Mark, Good point. Also the first T-1349 wrench was unmarked was made 1912-14, externally I believe. So I believe now that the wrench cannot predate 1914.
I just reviewed all of my photos of pre-T vehicles and although most are not crisp enough to make out the hubcaps clearly, most appear to be octagonal screw on caps. Only the '999' clearly has hex shaped caps. The Ford script logo appears to have been used soon after the company founding in 1903.
No model Ts that I know of used six-sided hex form hub caps.
I was also looking at the Tractors as possible alternatives. But I remain stumped. Canadian Model T's?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration