Did I get anything wrong?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Did I get anything wrong?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 12:48 am:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG95.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 01:24 am:

I see a minor typo, but otherwise looks good. This, coming from a serious amateur, so
I doubt I'd spot a techno error.

Nice write up. Someday I hope to be as together as Steve. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 01:48 am:

ring that goes under thge porcelain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 04:44 am:

On the later plugs, where you can only get one washer on there, do you make an effort to try to get the porcelain to turn with the nut when tightening?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 04:58 am:

Very nice job Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:51 am:

Job well done Steve ! Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:58 am:

Thanks Steve, just got a box full of these with the '14 I just purchased. It will be fun to restore as many of mine as possible and get them back in circulation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 08:23 am:

Shows that there is a lot more to Kansas than corn and the Wizard. Great job Steve. You need to contact MTFCA and get this saved as a club reference for future use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Great article.

1st paragraph - ford > Ford

2nd paragraph - hundrd > hundred

4th paragraph - versons > versions

Center picture of disassembled plug - thge > the, completly > completely

Picture to right of disassembled plug - talking > taking

I suspect that this was a scavenger hunt because I have seen precious few errors from Mr. Jelf. Great job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Excellent info Steve. Haven't had the time to check into these until now, since "holed up" due to our current snow storm, this was perfect time to look into it. Now I know what to look for down the road. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:19 am:

Hal, the answer is no. Maybe I should try that next time I assemble a plug.

Looks like my proofreading goes south when I stay up late.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Steve, one of the interesting things about proofreading is that it's easier to spot typos in someone else's text than it is your own. A second set of eyes seems to work better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:11 am:

I'm gonna try it that way next time, too. It's just something I thought about while looking at your article. I've only cracked one, but I've had several that leaked because I was too chicken to tighten them up enough. I just can't get past that sound they make when tightening the nut up against the porcelain. I've looked, as I'm sure you have too) for thin brass or copper washers, but just haven't found anything that looked like it would work. I'm gonna order some of the gaskets you show, as I have several plugs around that need rebuilding. Unfortunately, few, if any are the older style that you were able to use two gaskets on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Nice job, Steve. I agree with Bill A. that it would make great article for the VF magazine.

Near the top, it seems to me that "...not counting the more millions sold as replacements" should read "millions more" or just eliminate the "more" altogether. It's a small point, I know.

Regarding the copper crush washers you found which are fatter than the originals, did you try partially crushing them in a vise to see whether two of them would fit into the plugs that way? If they would fit and seal that way, it might be an improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Another thought that just crossed my mind for the thin upper washer....Has anyone tried punching any brass shim stock with a gasket punch? We might be able to punch the ID then punch the OD. I'm afraid doing it the other way around might split it or distort it beyond use, but that is a possibility. It looks like the gaskets Steve found are just the ticket for the lower one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Great article Steve, this explains a lot and is very helpful. Do you have one of these Champion spark plug testers? They allow you to connect an air line to it in order to simulate compression. The box has a T type coil in it. It's a great way to see how a plug works after rebuilding, at ambient pressure and under compression. Here's an X plug under test, You can see the spark in the mirror.

tetser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Steve, great job. Like Mike said this might be a good article for magazine. I'll leave the proof reading to those that may have passed English and learned how to spell, that's not me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Great article! I have printed it and am on my way to the barn to see which plugs I have on my 1910. I am one of those guys who would like my car to be period correct. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

"Period correct" would be "of the period" and not specific to the year. Such specificity generally indicates a purist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

No, I haven't tried doubling up on the washers. I may try that little experiment.

That tester looks like a pretty neat item. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one at swap meets.

After seeing some of the comments here and on Facebook, I added a little bit to the page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

for thin soft washers, i use copper tubing. first cut off what you want in the lathe using a cut off tool. then, anneal it so its soft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Steve - Do you have any Ford script plugs?

Also, except for the script, are they the same as Plug #5 on the picture with 6 plugs on it?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Steve, Very good article, but leaves me wondering about the plugs that look like the X plugs but are marked with Ford script. Where do they fall into the mix? Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

That's what I get for proofreading, second again. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

Steve you have done a fantastic job and performed a great service for all of us T'ers. I am saving it to my hard drive for future reference. I look forward to seeing you at Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

I've seen the Ford script version, but I don't think I have any. I'll have to look through my plugs and see if there are any of those I've forgotten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Here is an X plug next to a Ford plug. I'm not sure, but the Ford plug may be missing the crush washer. But they look about the same.

ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Where we now use only one washer (as compared to two in previous years) I believe the correct way to install and tighten the plug is "upside down" as shown in other posts. This way the top fitting is not turning against the electrode. The washer goes on the bottom of the electrode and "squished" by the bottom piece of the plug. As shown by Steve, the original washers, both top and bottom were very thin, and as Hal suggests a punched out washer for the top (and bottom) would probably self conform when tightened. Anybody want to stamp some out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

"That 5-40 size becomes a problem when you go shopping for thumb nuts to hold the wires on the plugs."

Shouldn't be; I have been making them for some time now. Lang's and Snyder's carry them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

As I was reading this thread, I recalled that I have some of the X plugs with the FORD script on them. I went out to the shop and dug through the drawer. I did find some of those along with some other variations of the X plug.

Some plugs with Champion X on one side and A-25 on the other! Those in the customary red printing and one with black printing. I will take pictures and then begin the (for me) arduous task of re-sizing. Ugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

As I re-read the header for this thread, it occurred to me that according to
the "real world", we sickos got it ALL wrong and need to junk this old crap
and get us a nice new Hyundai with automatic brakes and backup camera !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Bill Harper -- Set your camera on the smallest size format and you won't need to re-size the pics for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

RV, thanks. Correction made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:07 am:

No problem. Great article, BTW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Mike, that will work but I hate it. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration