Removing a Cylent composition timing gear/ patent May 13 1913

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing a Cylent composition timing gear/ patent May 13 1913
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

I am working on a '13 engine with this composition
Timing gear. It looks like new. I can'get it off the camshaft and there are no holes to pull on.
Any suggestions? I would rather not have to destroy this relic. It shows no apparent wear.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Take the cam out and press it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Frank, I want to clean the oil line. I'm not in the mood for a tear-down. I do, however, thank you for a sure solution.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Lee, I just finished working on an engine that had such a gear and was able to remove it without damage by getting behind it and prying on it gently. At first it did not want to budge but with a little work two of us got it to wiggle a bit and it came off just fine. Also remember that these are NOT a straight cut gears. The helix on these gears can be used to your advantage to help get it to move off the cam shaft by rotating/nudging the cam a little while you work the cam gear off. Take your time and it should come off without damage. God luck. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Since it's a 13 and no gear driven generator and the gear looks like new, why don't you leave it be and run it. It should be fine.

If you must pull it, you could drill and tap 2 holes near the center and use them to pull the gear.

If you are uncomfortable about running it, them it's not worth too much as a relic, new condition not withstanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Joe and Ted you both give me hope. My thought now
Is to drill a hole in the appropriate location to enable me to pass a piece of cable through the oil tube. I want to continue to use this gear. Whoda thunk that a high quality composition gear
was invented in 1913? Seems that some of our technology is proceeding backward. This gear looks new after 103
Years; yet a new gear may last only 6 months.....
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

On the 4 dip pan you can bend a piece of tubing to reach around and blow out the oil line. You may be able to do this with the earlier pans also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Voila!! My friend,and the car owner, Morris Cameron
slept on the problem and arrived at the solution. He
removed the crankcase bottom plate which gave access to the rear of the timing gear. Two blows at 180 degree intervals did the trick.
I'm grateful for all the responses.
Lee

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration