OH CRAP

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OH CRAP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

I was switching out the 27 large brake petal for a earlier spoon brake petal, and I dropped the washer. Yep I heard it go all the way to the bottom. I had rags stuffed in her, but I obviously didn't do it right. I was trying to fish it out of the rag, and it slipped by.
What remedies have worked for others?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

A number of years ago, I dropped a small open-end wrench into the transmission. (Sheer stupidity on my part -- I should have put the cover back on before starting something new with the wrench. It was about three hours before I was supposed to be in a parade. My guardian angel must have been feeling sorry for me. A long flexible magnet, after many false starts and failed attempts, finally pulled it up to where I could reach it. Others may have better suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

I was able to snag one with a magnet on a somewhat flexible stick, but I had to remove the hog's head to get it down in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Remove the drain plug and oil then tap the pan until the washer is at the bottom. Push it up against the magnets and remove the bendix and starter. Rotate the crankshaft until the washer shows up in the starter hole and fish it out. On pre 1919 engines you will likely have to remove the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

There is a magnet, available at most NAPA stores, that has a bendable aluminum shaft. It will go all the way around the side and USUALLY retrieve what you've dropped. I've had to use it several times. When I was still in High School (70 years ago) I dropped a nut into the transmission. To retrieve it I turned the T up-side-down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/517034.html?1423615667

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Doug, I knew what happened just by reading the title only when this happened to me I said something else. :-) I second what Dick said about the magnet. It worked great for me. Just be patient and keep trying. Hopefully the washer didn't go too deep.

Good luck,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

When I dropped a band spring into my transmission last year, a friend and I used two tools to fish it out. I fished a flexible wand with a magnet on the end up through the oil drain plug hole. When it contacted the spring, I was able to push the spring up along the bottom of the pan until my friend was able to see the spring through the transmission cover opening. With the spring being held in that position by the magnetic wand, I was able to reach down with a second wand with a three-finger gripper on the end to grip the spring firmly and pull it up and out through the transmission cover opening.

Be calm, patient and persistent, it will come out, good luck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

I said a lot more than "oh crap", but that is the way it goes with a T, at least I don't have to worry about how I will get to work tomorrow. I was just thinking before I dropped it, if the transmission door was a little larger how much easier it would be.
My T does not have the magneto coils or magnets, so that is one less issue of where it could be. I will not probably be able to mess with it for the rest of this week, so it will sit. Hopefully one of the suggestions above will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Ah, another fellow member of the Model T Fishing club!

I successfully retrieved a band nut on a magneto magnet using a method suggested by Bob Jablonski which is similar to Ted described after 4 hours of fishing with a magnet on a coat hanger. It is unfortunate you don't have that option.

I did "hook" the nut fishing for it but it dropped off on the way up, never to be repeated. But that was probably because it got attracted to a magneto magnet. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Sometimes you can see the washer when you remove the oil drain plug. If you can see it or get it to move down to the oil drain hole by tapping the oil pan case, you are almost there. Take a wire and thread it thru the washer and out the top of the hogs head. Pay attention to the direction you feed the wire. Do not shove the wire into the magneto field coils. Then by looping the wire back around itself at the bottom and using some small needle nose pliers you can tie the washer to the bottom of the wire. Then just pull the offending washer out the top. I have retrieved the washer or nut, several times on other peoples cars. and only once on mine (that was enough for me). You may not be lucky enough to have the washer go to the bottom, but a lot of the times it will. good luck with it, and go slow and have patience. By the way, remove the key from the ignition switch, they have been know to fall out while the trans cover is open. (do not ask why I know that) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

I am beginning to think that having a barrel roller to turn one's T
upside down is a mandatory tool for every T shop ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Incredible!! I going to go buy a lottery ticket! I couldn't stand it so I went out to fish for the washer. I have it in less than 5 minutes of effort. I used a flexible shaft magnet tool. Menards sells them. It has a handle on one end that holds batteries, and a light on the other end. I fished it down into the crankcase, not many places to get it down in there. I just rotated the handle so the magnet would sweep. Fourth or fifth time I brought the magnet out, I had a prize!
Just before I lost it, I was thinking about going over to a buddy's house to get a magnet he has to take it off. It is like a pen with a magnet in the end. I think I will try it when I put it back together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Glad you got it out easily! :-)

I have one of these, it holds the washer and nut so that you can start the nut on the pedal shaft without dropping them.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3416TNW.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Congratulations...good job...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

After dropping a nut into the pan eons ago I started running sewing thread thru washer and nut before trying to make it up. Works. Don't know where I learned this but......Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Jerry: Dental Floss is my helper. See you in Chickasha. TDE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Good news! :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

The best part of opening up the transmission door is snugging up the last screw after putting the door back on. I used a different magnet on a stick to put it back together so I did not lose anything this time I touched it.
What I want to know is how come there is nothing to threading on the nut on the shaft when the petal is out of the car, and it is such a booger to get the nut on in the car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Phillips on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

Hay, Ship happens to the best of us! This might work. Harbor Fright (I know its cheep) has a hand held LED monitor and probe unit. With a flex rod magnet it should work. Anything beats taking the transmission apart.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration