I need tires for my 1926 Touring T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I need tires for my 1926 Touring T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Miller on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

The tires & tubes on my 26T Touring are rotten. What is the recommended tire and the best place to buy them? I see Lucas tires for $99 at MAC's & Snyders. Are they any good or should I stay with Firestone for $158?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

dont throw out the tubes, they may be better than what you can buy now. if they are nice heavy old brand name tubes, use em. the new ones from Asia are, well, ok. the ones a few years back from east Europe were very bad. tires are expensive, i like the firestones myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

I guess it comes down to how deep your pockets are. The Firestones look nice and are "period correct". That's what I put on my '26 Touring last year. But I doubt there's much difference between them and the "driver" variety. They will all get you down the road safely. Just depends on your budget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

I buy my tires from Lang's because they "drop-ship" them directly from the manufacturer who knows that Lang's (who buys a lot of tires), insists on fresh tires for their customers.

When my tires arrive and I take the plastic wrap off, the room stinks of fresh, new rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

I suspect Kevin is right that the main difference between Lucas and Firestone is lots of dollars. Supposedly all the clinchers are made in the same Vietnamese factory, and it wouldn't surprise me to find that the same goes for these too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Lucas' brand 21" are imported - Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich 21", etc. are U.S. made according to Coker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Jim, if you are going to tour and put on some miles by all means go with the Firestones. They are the best. If you are only going to do casual local driving to the tune of 200 or 300 miles a year any tire will do. They will bio degrade and need to be replaced before the tread is hardly worn.

My opinion

Ajo Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Imported from where? Some of the tires imported over the years have had a good reputation, and others not so much. Are all the USA-made brands produced by the same company? If so, I'd figure they're equal in quality and that the only differences among them are appearance and price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:47 am:

I got mine from Lucas tire in Long Beach Ca. I called on the phone and they were delivered the next day!

I think there is a Lucas somewhere in the midwest. You can find it on Google. They have a number of brands and I have used them for two cars without any negatives to say about them.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

I understand that all high-pressure clincher tires are imported from good old Vietnam as well as Lucas' own brand of 21".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration