After market starter drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: After market starter drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 09:12 am:

This has a patent date of May 5 of 1914 the number is 1086606 is stamped on the drive. The number is for a gasket cutting machine, best I can tell. The first patent date, on the drive, is 5 years before Ford introduced the starter. Anyone got a clue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 09:48 am:

I don't know anything about the gasket cutting machine, but many other makes of cars had electric starters several years before Ford came around to the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 10:07 am:

If you Google the number it comes up Machine for cutting rings or gaskets. I'm wondering if the number was used to try to fool Ford or others? Interesting thought, if Ford copied another's starter system, did Ford pay a Royalty?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 10:18 am:

That doesn't look like an aftermarket starter drive to me. I'd clean it up and use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

I will use it, the reason I thought it was aftermarket are the patent dates and number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

I just looked at one we have in the shop, it has numbers and dates stamped in the same place. I didn't have the number to compare with with me. As far as can be seen it came off an old original starter. I have also seen other Bendix's with and without numbers and dates. It was suggested, could it be a Canadian Pat number?
Never mind;
FLUID POWER SYSTEM HAVING MULTIPLE SEPARATELY CONTROLLABLE DOUBLE-ACTING FLUID MOTORS AND REDUCED NUMBER OF FLUID CONDUITS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

patent dates do not indicate when a part was made, It is when the design was patented. Look on the top of most 16 or newer side lights and a lot of them have a patent date of 1914.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

That is in addition to the point of what this Patent number goes to. Any number I have done a look up on tells what the item is and when the Patent was granted. As far as I know the numbers are sequential, not being reused. The Bendix in question has a number of dates that the Patent was renewed or original design was improved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

This thread reminds me of a problem that existed a couple years ago if I remember correctly; there were some replacement starter drives that were made with a slight problem in the machining that caused them to "stick", in other words, fail to disengage. Could this thread have something to do with that particular problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

As far as I know the drive should work fine. I took it apart and blasted the gear because the pin and spring were missing, cleaned it while it was apart. This was in my collection from the early '60s. I don't remember ever seeing a patent number or date on a T part produced by Ford, is the reason I assumed it is after market. But you know what they say about assume.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration