Best way of straightening a Running Board brace?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Best way of straightening a Running Board brace?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Suggestions, please. The driver-side front support-brace for the '25 is about 1.5 inches higher than the rear support. (Level and normal.) There is no apparent 'kink'... Suspicions are that someone either didn't have enough ground clearance, or tried to 'jack' inappropriately. Running board and apron are off. Any suggestions before I try using a torch??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Hi Marvin,

I have had to do similar tweeking. Remove the running board. Obtain a piece of stout pipe about three feet long with an ID just large enough to fit snugly over the running board support. While you heat the bracket with your torch, have your helper move the support as necessary to put it in the right place. The length of the pipe makes it easier to fine tune the support. With patience and care you should be able to get it "dialed in".

Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Before you bend anything, make sure both sides of the frame are equal distance above a level floor. It is very common for the springs to sag on one side, or for the frame to sag in the middle, so the frame needs to be straight and both sides both front and back equal height from side to side. The front might be lower or higher than the back, but it should be equal height from side to side.

After the above determinations have been made, then you can attempt to straighten the bracket if necessary.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Norman is spot on. Do check those areas first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

-Thanks, Bill & Norm!-
Didn't know if I would harm anything by heating that steel bracket if it was 'tempered' in any way. Thanks again.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

Heating is the best option. They are not tempered and heating will leave them in the correct position in a relaxed state.

I heated and patched/welded mine and they are straight and have held up well. Also remember that a common accessory in the day was a added support for heavier people. They were never designed to a 400 pound person.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

-Hi, Jim-
Since I'm only about half that weight, there shouldn't be any future issue with it.. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

You can make a tracing onto cardboard, wood, or even metal, of one that has the proper curves to it. It helps to have a pattern to follow. Hopefully, you have a couple running board brackets that are enough alike to feel good about your pattern. Otherwise, you can try a tracing off another car or frame. If you can find and/or borrow a spare (good, well shaped) running board bracket? that can also work well.
Remember, if you use cardboard, that cardboard does burn if gotten too hot from a torch or glowing metal. (So does wood, however it is a little more difficult to ignite.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:09 am:

-Hi, Wayne-
It looks like front and rear brackets appear to be the same, so I should be able to match it to the rear. Appreciate the suggestions!
Marv

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration